Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Trying to wire up tail light with signals built in, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:12 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to wire up tail light with signals built in, HELP!

OK, I bought this off of fleabay, lol. Bike is my 99 Sporty, and the tail light fits fine. It has the standard plug in for the wiring harness, but has two extra yellow wires hanging out loose. I ASSUME (don't say it!) that the two yellows are for the turn signals. Soooo , should I ground one of my turn signal wires, (negative), and the other will hook to the yellow wire? It also came with two flat square ceramic blocks, 1/4" x 1/4" x 2", with a wire out of each end. They say 20W20ohmJ. (symbol for ohm, anyway)

I have no idea, and have e-mailed the vendor. They said to have it professionally installed, and have the installer ask if he had questions. lmfao!

I can do basic electric, but before I splice my factory stuff, I want to know I am doing it correctly.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

The seller just e-mailed me back and said they would give me 5 bux to diagnose my own problem. Must not want any bad feedback on Ebay. Still said it was OEM, lmao.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:26 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

^^^^^^^^^^bump^^^^^^^^^^

Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default resistor

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
OK, I bought this off of fleabay, lol. Bike is my 99 Sporty, and the tail light fits fine. It has the standard plug in for the wiring harness, but has two extra yellow wires hanging out loose. I ASSUME (don't say it!) that the two yellows are for the turn signals. Soooo , should I ground one of my turn signal wires, (negative), and the other will hook to the yellow wire? It also came with two flat square ceramic blocks, 1/4" x 1/4" x 2", with a wire out of each end. They say 20W20ohmJ. (symbol for ohm, anyway)...
Randy, they are resistors, used to drop voltage. If this light does not use LED's, just experiment w/ the connections; LED's can be damaged if polarity is reversed. The yellow's probably should not be grounded, but instead hookup to the respective turn signals (my guess). I'm not familiar w/ the color code; perhaps someone else will jump in, here.

Try to find out who the manufacturer is, if it isn't the seller.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanx for the help. No names on anything but the seller/shipper.

Shouldn't be too hard though.

RD

Old 08-03-2010, 07:03 PM
dynamss
6th Gear

i think the two blocks you are talking about are load balancers. they keep the LED lights from pulling youre system down for the alarm system for when it does its first scan on the bike. i have LED signals on my dyna and had to install them. if i wanted to use the security system. i bought a kuryakyn kit that split the factory harness with a splitter plug then you just plug the balancer in to the other side. alot cleaner than cutting and splicing http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...atID/8/scID/85

as far as the actual wiring i would have to see the diagram, but im guessing you didnt get one. i also am not farmiliar enough with the color codes to assume proper wiring. hope this helps. if you have a diagram post it and maybe it can be translated.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:55 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

With the blocks hooked up, the blinkers won't blink, but do come on. Without them, it works. Sort of. The wiring harness is made up incorrectly with the new light. The brake light goes to a dead pole, and the live one from the bike goes to a dead hole. I can make it work by splicing my original tail light harness with the new light. I hate to do that, but have no choice at this point. The light is pretty cool, but it is definitely not "plug n play". If I had known what I needed to do from the beginning, it wouldn't have been so bad.

Thanx for the help. RD.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:53 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

The light has yellow arrows pointing left or right. They won't blink, at least not yet. There is a dim blinking red that goes left or right. The lens would not clear the wiring connection block that is factory. I had to file it, and then break off some pieces, to get the lens to clear, and then it barely does. Now my front signals do not blink, but do come on.

Any advice? This is a real PITA.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:32 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Okay, if I cut on my hazards, the yellow turn signals blink on front and back. But if I only cut on either side signal, no yellow blink, but they both come on, front and back. . WTF? A tiny red blinks on either side of the new light, but it is weak. I dunno.

Last edited by RandyDowdy; 08-05-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

gotta link to the lights? or pics? i gotta degree in electronics and i can't understand what your talking about. need more information.

Quick Reply: Trying to wire up tail light with signals built in, HELP!