Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Trying to wire up tail light with signals built in, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:47 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the link to the fleabay item I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clear...Q5fAccessories

It has yellow arrows to left and right. The taillight and breaklight red lights work. The yellow lights point to either side, like a turn signal, when I turn on my turn signals. But they do not blink. Now my front signals come on, but don't blink either. A tiny red light inside it blinks on the correct sides, but you can hardly see it. When I turn on my hazards, all yellow lights blink as they should.

There is a red, a green, and a black wire going to the tail light. Two yellow wires, which I hooked up to the factory plug-in bar located on the factory tail light housing.

The yellows should blink, no doubt about that.

Thank you. RD.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

gonna have to back to you randy. i still haven't wrapped my head around that thing.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm thinking your flashers work because there's enough load to trip the flasher when drawing amps off all the bulbs. I seem to remember years ago in a pick-up if a bulb burned out the blinkers didn't work. Use the resistors provided, they add load to the system. LED's use next to nothing as far as current draw. If you have access to a dc volt tester, check which pin of your original connector has power when you hit the left/right blinker and try that wire to one of the yellow wires. It's really hard to diagnose electrical prob on the net, but hope I helped get you in the right direction. I'm thinking your blinkers stay on solid due to not enough load. Good Luck. This all assumes it is in fact a LED set-up. Just looked at the link-yes-LED

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 08-08-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: re-read post
Old 08-08-2010, 11:07 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I did a little searching, is there a circuit board on the back of the light? Could be that is damaged or faulty? Maybe the reason it was being sold? If you can't find a mechanic buddy to help you out, its the same as a 12 volt car, I'd give this dude a bad review on ebay, let him know first that's what you'll do, maybe he'll fess up, or give a refund. It's not alot of money, but the principle of the thing!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:57 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

They say they are giving me my money back, less shipping. I'll settle for that. The unit is sealed, so I can't get to the board. I am thinking it needs a jumper from the turn to the taillight. But if I do that, it may backfeed, and the tail light may make the signals come on.

Damifino.

Thanx for the help.

Randy D

Old 08-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member

i think you need to hook the resisters where your turn signal lamps once were. then, on the positive side of that connection, connect the yellow wire.

so connect the turn signal wire to one side of one resistor. connect the yellow wire from the tail light to that also.

then ground the other side of the resistor.

do the same for the other turn signal.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:39 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Certainteed
i think you need to hook the resisters where your turn signal lamps once were. then, on the positive side of that connection, connect the yellow wire.

so connect the turn signal wire to one side of one resistor. connect the yellow wire from the tail light to that also.

then ground the other side of the resistor.

do the same for the other turn signal.

I haven't tried that. I hooked one end to the yellow wire, and the other end of the resistor to the stock wiring harness.

I'll try that sometime this weekend, see how it works.

Thanks for your time.

RD

Old 08-21-2010, 04:52 PM
EPHDlover
Stage II
Default Sport Fairing

What size is the headlight opening?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:59 PM
DC Mike
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Before you get all crazy with the resistors and unnecessary wiring, try this.

The LED bulbs have like 1/4 or less of the current draw that standard filament bulbs have. That is why when you try each side individually they don't work. But when you do the 4 ways they work, because the front 2 bulbs have enough draw to make your standard flasher work.

What you need is an LED (also called "Heavy Duty") Flasher unit. Try these...
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2Fflashers.htm

Any of the ones in the "Car and Truck" section should be a direct plug in on your bike, just verify the pin quantity and location. If not you can do some splicing and use one of the "Motorcycle" style ones at the bottom. Trust me, this will work.

Mike

Last edited by DC Mike; 08-24-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
I haven't tried that. I hooked one end to the yellow wire, and the other end of the resistor to the stock wiring harness.

I'll try that sometime this weekend, see how it works.

Thanks for your time.

RD
the turn signal flasher depends upon the presence of a "load". since you are removing the bulb, you have to trick the system into thinking the bulb is still there. hence the resister.

let me know how it turns out. i'll be in richmond va this weekend if you're interested in riding up... i'll be happy to look at it.