Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

97 Ultra Fuel Injection Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Ratrods40
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Ultra Fuel Injection Problem

I have a 97 Ultra and while going down the hwy the fuel injection light will come on and the engie starts cutting out like it is starving for fuel. This goes on for a few seconds and then it picks back up and runs good for a couple of miles. If riding on a city steet and the fuel injection light comes on the engine will go to a high idle but when you twist the throttle the engine cuts out. Any help here?

Old 07-30-2010, 04:42 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll make a guess that the head temperature sensor has failed.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:09 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

do you know how to read codes?
very limited information:
miles
upgrades
any changes in parts
always happens? multiple fuel refills??
M and M fuel injection---common issues:
check 2 fuel lines for leaks..original??,
engine temp. sensor,
cam position sensor,
crank sensor
*with the limited information provided i would take a wild guess that it happens regardless of amount of gas in tank full/empty..happens often, and idle is eratic and that it could be the temp. sensor.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Ratrods40
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bike is stock, 10263 miles. It does happen often, doesnt matter how much fuel is in it.I dont know how to read the codes.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:01 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ratrods40
The bike is stock, 10263 miles. It does happen often, doesnt matter how much fuel is in it.I dont know how to read the codes.
on my 1998 road king classic with fuel inj. you can read the codes doing the following:
1-turn ignition key switch to ignition and then turn off 1 second after fuel pump stops.
2.repeat #1 again..remember 1 second after pump stops
3.turn ignition key switch to ignition and wait about 8 seconds for a bunch of flashing of the check engine light
it will then stop for 2 seconds..get ready... these are the codes you must count:
it will slowly flash 1,2,3,5....there is NO 4....this is the first digit of the 2 digit code ..so it can only be 1,2,3,5 __ __
then a 2 second pause...then you will get second digit of the 2 digit code..it can only be 1,2,3,4,5,6
remember after the complete 2 digit code is given you will go back to the rapid flash sequence..
there are a total of 15 codes available with this procedure
examples
52,53,54,55 bad news ECM replacement
56 crank/cam sensor
11 throttle sensor
12 barometric
23 and 32 are injectors front/rear
24 coil
33 fuel pump relay--in this case you would not hear the pump but instead waited 3 seconds after the on / off sequence
in order to erase any codes you must disconnect the battery or wait for 50 on and off riding cycles

Old 07-31-2010, 01:03 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

i do not have a fuel injection light? could it be the check engine light?

Old 07-31-2010, 01:40 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

10,000 miles is on the low side....but you do have some age.
any other history on the bike?
storage conditions? slept outside for all these years?
have the spark plugs been changed? maintenance history?
basically right now we know:
year 1997
ultra
fuel injection
10,000 miles
stock= no aftermarket fuel programmers, pipes, air cleaners
on highway it starves for fuel but then catches again.
in city the idle becomes eratic and if throttle is twisted it cut-out.
no service history
rule out free or cheap
items first:
Identify reason for error light
only the one error light?
1-voltage-measure DC voltage at battery with bike off with digital voltage meter, DC while cranking, at idle, may even consider review measure at stator plug exiting motor.
The stator plug measure will be AC not DC..trying to rule-out charging issue.
2-dump the fuel in the tank and refill with new fuel...rule-out bad fuel
3-look at spark plugs,ever changed?
4-look at fluids..all 3 holes
5-does your bike have an engine temp sensor in front chimney?
that item when faulty would cause eratic idles and other odd behaviors..if you unplug it does problem get better or worse?
5-the 2 external fuel hoses..any leaks??? leak will not allow the bike to maintain pressure and could cause issues...rarely do they last 10+
just a few ideas...but again it is difficult to assist with minimal info.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Rutland
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by im
on my 1998 road king classic with fuel inj. you can read the codes doing the following:
1-turn ignition key switch to ignition and then turn off 1 second after fuel pump stops.
2.repeat #1 again..remember 1 second after pump stops
3.turn ignition key switch to ignition and wait about 8 seconds for a bunch of flashing of the check engine light
it will then stop for 2 seconds..get ready... these are the codes you must count:
it will slowly flash 1,2,3,5....there is NO 4....this is the first digit of the 2 digit code ..so it can only be 1,2,3,5 __ __
then a 2 second pause...then you will get second digit of the 2 digit code..it can only be 1,2,3,4,5,6
remember after the complete 2 digit code is given you will go back to the rapid flash sequence..
there are a total of 15 codes available with this procedure
examples
52,53,54,55 bad news ECM replacement
56 crank/cam sensor
11 throttle sensor
12 barometric
23 and 32 are injectors front/rear
24 coil
33 fuel pump relay--in this case you would not hear the pump but instead waited 3 seconds after the on / off sequence
in order to erase any codes you must disconnect the battery or wait for 50 on and off riding cycles
I also have a 98 RKC that has the ENG light on!

I'm a little confused on the counting sequence, after steps 1-3 and the rapid flashing/blinking, it'll then flash 1 then 2 times 3,5 times = 11 flashes, is this correct?

After the 11th flash then count the flashes for the first number in the code? Then the 2 second pause, and the number of flashes after the pause is the second number in the code, correct?

EDIT

OK, I think I got it figured out!
I counted the flashes after the rapid ones and got a code of "16" do you know what that stands for?

Last edited by Rutland; 08-01-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rutland
I all so have a 98 RKC that has the ENG light on!

I'm a little confused on the counting sequence, after steps 1-3 and the rapid flashing/blinking, it'll then flash 1 then 2 times 3,5 times = 11 flashes, is this correct?

After the 11th flash then count the flashes for the first number in the code? Then the 2 second pause, and the number of flashes after the pause is the second number in the code, correct?
after rapid flash sequence:
first digit :it will flash slowly(very easy to count) and then stop for a second or two and then flash slowly again for second digit.
code 56 very common would show as :
rapid flash and then waits for 1 second..then flash,flash,flash,flash,flash (5) pause light off for 1 second then flash,flash,flash,flash,flash,flash (6) then if no more errors returns to rapid flash.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Rutland
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK thanks, according to this, I get code 16.
Is that open contacts?

Thanks for walking me through it

Last edited by Rutland; 08-01-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 97 Ultra Fuel Injection Problem