Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

06 Streetglide Stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010 | 02:33 PM
njhawk26
|
Stage II
Default 06 Streetglide Stalling issues

I have a 06 Streetglide, EFI, Stage 1, W/power comander. Suddenly after riding a while, for example freeway 30min then coming to exit ramp, and side streets just dies after few yards.all on down 25-30mph roads just coming to stoplight. Just dies,only oil light is solid and on. sputters a while, idles real low. starts up right away but need to rev it a bit before going or it will stumble and die again. Any ideas??? Pulled codes, found none. running shell 93, Plugs newer,

Last edited by njhawk26; 07-27-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2010 | 03:50 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Does it run fine after turning it off and back on? If so then it's your IAC. The Idle Air Control (IAC) controls the flow of air through a passage that bypasses the throttle plate to allow in air when the throttle plate is closed. It recalibrates at power off so cycling off the power and turn it back on resolves it.

Take the AC off and sight in the throttle body and you'll see a hole in the top right before the throttle plate. That's the IAC port. It connects to a hole on the other side of the throttle plate. Lay a rag at the bottom of the throttle body under those two holes. Spray some carb cleaner up in the first hole and likely some gunk comes out the second hole. That's what the rag is for, to catch that gunk.

That gunk is likely binding the threads on the pintel on the IAC causing it to fail to turn occasionally when told to do so. Not always, just occasionally, but as you ride those occasionally adds up to a problem. The ECM can't read the IAC position. The recalibration leaves it in a known location appropriate to starting. It then counts steps from that location as it operates the IAC. After starting it tracks the throttle. Lose steps here and there and eventual it's far off from where the ECM thinks it is.

Old 07-27-2010 | 04:16 PM
njhawk26
|
Stage II

I thought just like a car an IAC going bad would cause rough idle all the time? After she stalls it stumbles a bit until a couple of quick revs its driveable again. Im thinking its running to lean and may need a programmer reflash. Could this be something?

Old 07-27-2010 | 09:19 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

I don't know what cars do, but I know Harley's do this. If it runs fine when you first start it up, but start having problems after sustained operations you likely need to clean that passage out. As far as I know it's due to the breathers emptying into the intake.