Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Is EFI ECM Calibration necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:27 AM
HerbFXDC
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is EFI ECM Calibration necessary?

I have a 2009 FXDC with Nioghtrider XiEd installed. The XiED changes the Air Fuel mixture from 14.7:1 to 13.8:1. So my bike should now be running safely rich when otherwise stock.

I am thinking about adding S&S slip-on mufflers and (later) a free breathing air intake (Maybe HD Stage 1, maybe Arlen Ness Big Sucker).

I have heard (they said the read it in American Iron MAgazine, I am looking for the article) that if you add aftermarket exhaust and run the bike, the computer will adjust air/fuel (and maybe other settings) so that the bike will not lean out. Samd if you also add an aftermarket air intake... the computer will adjust and a/f will be normal. In effect, either or both of those modification to a new Harley will not result in engine damage.

The Nightrider web site states the same basic thing... the stock computer will compensate for exhaust and air intake modification.

I would think that dyno testing the bike and using the SE Race Tuner or Power Commander would allow me (better to say someone who knows how) to tune the bike for premium performance with my chosen upgrades.

So the quesetion is... "are those statements correct?" Am I safe to just add the exhaust and later air intake without changing my stock HD computer settings? I am way too far from a dyno or anyone who knows how to use one to get it tested. My HD dealer is about 9 hours away - they dont have a dyno, they would just charge $400 to insert race tuner - no testing.

Thanks for the advice. I appologize if the answers to these questions are elsewhere in the forum.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by HerbFXDC

So the quesetion is... "are those statements correct?" Am I safe to just add the exhaust and later air intake without changing my stock HD computer settings? I am way too far from a dyno or anyone who knows how to use one to get it tested. My HD dealer is about 9 hours away - they dont have a dyno, they would just charge $400 to insert race tuner - no testing.

Thanks for the advice. I appologize if the answers to these questions are elsewhere in the forum.
The statements are correct yet shaded as well. ECM will adjust but only so much. Your 09 ECM map is lean so the ECM will adjust back to the factory lean condition held in the map. Changing slip on's and AC will help your FXDC breath better but your lean stock map should be changed.

Using the XiED's and fooling the ECM to 13.8 is taking your map out of closed loop. How is the map going to compensate for the AC and slip on changes much less the changes in the gasoline quality? Answer, it's not.

Removing the XiED's and installing an ECM tuner, not a layered tuner, will help. The TTS or the SEST are fine options and just the ticket to help you "dyno" or street tune your VE tables since a dealer is so far away. Yes, you can do your tune yourself. TTS with VTune or SEST with SmartTune. Which one is best is debatable and most here have their preference. A layered tuner is like a PC(x).

Which one you choose is totally up to you but please do your homework before you purchase. Auto tune replacement ECM's are available as well example... TMax. Again, choice is yours but you should think about getting back into closed loop for your cruising areas.

-wiz

Old 07-24-2010, 06:32 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

XiEDs are hard on O2 sensors, they don't last long running that rich closed loop. XiEDs only change closed loop AFR directly, only a slight adjustment carries over to open loop. So if you ride aggressively you may be skating on thin ice. You may or may not like how well it runs after you make those mods. But the HD will run all day at 15 AFR without you noticing it, no damage but there is much wear and tear. So you could get away with it if you really wanted to.

Get yourself a TTS tuning kit for roughly $400 and simply tune the bike yourself. By calibrating the VEs to your modifications, the ECU is set to the middle of its adjustment range and the bike will run much much better and safer than any canned map or XiED equipped bike.

I tried XiEDs hoping they would be sufficient and yes the bike ran richer and lowered the bike's operating temperature but did nothing for surges or decel pop. I threw the XiEDs away and tuned with the TTS kit, night and day difference in riding satisfaction. No contest, bike just hauls @$$ .... and now 50 mpg on the highway instead of 42... JMHO, there are other options but you can't go wrong with the TTS kit.

Last edited by ColdCase; 07-24-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,732 Likes on 524 Posts

At risk of being called a dummy, can someone tell me what these componets are that your refering to with just their abbreviations. I'm interested in doing something down these lines. Thanks fellas.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:49 PM
HerbFXDC
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a web site for the TTS.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:35 PM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by HerbFXDC
Is there a web site for the TTS.
www.mastertune.net

Old 07-26-2010, 09:35 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 09 FXDC too. I did the stage 1 including the SE Heavy Breather air intake (since it outflow the regular SE air intake and the ventilator), SE race slip ons (pre noise reduction model) and the recalibration done by HD. Definately made a difference mid through upper RPM range. Bike still ran hot, very uncomfortable in hot humid south with the TC below. Decided to do the Nightrider XiED and definately cooled the bike down by enrichening the AFR. Pipes have more soot, engine is smoother, quieter and not nearly as hot as before. I believe the stage 1 with RECALIBRATION and XiED are a great COMBINATION. The engine's VE is properly calibrated for the stage 1 and now the closed loop mode that I mostly ride in is cooler and more safe with 13.8 AFR than the 14.6. Very happy with my combo.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:20 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
At risk of being called a dummy, can someone tell me what these componets are that your refering to with just their abbreviations. I'm interested in doing something down these lines. Thanks fellas.
The SEST and TTS are both software/hardware combinations that allow you to load map onto the Delphi ECM, the stock ECM on a harley. The ECM is a computer that runs a program and the map are lookup tables used to control it's execution. The software allows you to edit those tables and load them onto the bike. The hardware is a dongle that connects to the PC with a usb cable and the bike with a data cable.

SEST is what Harley sells to do that task. It's predecessor was the SERT which was written for Harley by TTS. They parted ways over creative differances and now TTS sells their own. Power Commander is a differant approach, it piggybacks on the ECM modifying the signals that come out of the ECM. Zipper's Thundermax is an alternative ECM. You remove the Delphi ECM and install the TMax in it's place. It is not a replacement ECM in that it doesn't behave exactly like a Delphi ECM. Rather it's sort of like using a Sony MP3 player to listen to music instead of an iPod, i.e. both play music.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
I have a 09 FXDC too. I did the stage 1 including the SE Heavy Breather air intake (since it outflow the regular SE air intake and the ventilator), SE race slip ons (pre noise reduction model) and the recalibration done by HD. Definately made a difference mid through upper RPM range. Bike still ran hot, very uncomfortable in hot humid south with the TC below. Decided to do the Nightrider XiED and definately cooled the bike down by enrichening the AFR. Pipes have more soot, engine is smoother, quieter and not nearly as hot as before. I believe the stage 1 with RECALIBRATION and XiED are a great COMBINATION. The engine's VE is properly calibrated for the stage 1 and now the closed loop mode that I mostly ride in is cooler and more safe with 13.8 AFR than the 14.6. Very happy with my combo.
With the XiED's you are now in all open loop across the spectrum of your map.

You say the engines VE is properly calibrated for the stage 1. If you don't mind me asking...How did you come to that conclusion? If all HD did was to flash the stage 1 for 150 bucks then there's no way your VE tables are calibrated to your motor.

Sounds like you are having a good experience with your combination though so enjoy... sometimes we nit pick the unnecessary.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:52 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
With the XiED's you are now in all open loop across the spectrum of your map.
The 13.8 is in closed loop. Under normal operating conditions, the ECM looks for a .500 Volt signal from the O2 sensor which indicates the expected lambda value of 1.00 or in the case of the Harley-Davidson Delphi ECM's, a .99 lambda. The XiED manipulates the incoming voltage or bias value and effectively changes the closed loop programming of the ECM.