Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

stage one now vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by ricaroo
Wiz,

I did that when it was cold and even changed the exhaust gaskets along with the rubber inserts under the bags where they attach to the muffler.

However, your method sounds better doing it after its hot and everything has expanded and could be in a state of binding.

Thinking about it the vibration gets a little worse after the bike has warmed up

I am going to give it a try should I also loosen the muffler clamps and if so should I replace them?

Thanks again for your help I appreciate it.

Rick
After warming her up good loosen up the mounting bolts on top of the muffs. Then get the center mounting bolts and leave the exhaust flanges last. No need to loosen any slip fitting clamps unless you think the slipon's are turned a little.

Tighten down the exhaust flanges first then the center mounts. Then warm her up again. While as hot as you can stand it torque the exhaust flange nuts then tighten the muffler supports. Leave the slip on clamps last.

This has worked for many but if it doesn't work for you at least you have the satisfaction of knowing it isn't in the exhaust. It's very rare for someone with your tune& mods to get a vibration unless, the stage 1 flash wasn't for the correct bike. I've seen stranger things happen. Stay with it... with a little patience you will find the cause.

Question, you don't have a True-Trac or a third mount point added mod do you?

Old 07-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by sniper77
Now that I'm clear on what exhaust you're running I would suggest you loosen the muffler clamps (the clamps that secure the muffler to the pipe, not the mounts at the rear of the bike) and crank the engine. Rev it a couple of times after it has run a minute then let it drop back to idle, shut it down and tighten the clamps again.

Remember, the pipes get extremely hot very quickly, I wouldn't think about touching any part of the exhaust without leather gloves on between me and the metal at that time.
I think we are on the same page... this should fix his vibe's

Old 07-24-2010, 12:51 PM
ricaroo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wiz,
The answer to your question is NO

When you say Tighten down the exhaust flanges first then the center mounts. do you mean snug them up? Then warm her up again. While as hot as you can stand it torque the exhaust flange nuts then tighten the muffler supports. Leave the slip on clamps last

Last edited by ricaroo; 07-24-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by ricaroo

Wiz,
The answer to your question is NO

When you say Tighten down the exhaust flanges first then the center mounts. do you mean snug them up? Then warm her up again. While as hot as you can stand it torque the exhaust flange nuts then tighten the muffler supports. Leave the slip on clamps last

Yes, once your exhaust sytem is centered you can then tighten the muffler slip on clamp... ( o-ring metal clamp)

Sniper is dead on... he's saying your mufflers and dual head pipes are out of line and in a bind... this is transferring the exhaust vibration to the frame where you feel it in your floorboards.

If you had a third mounting point such as a Tru-Trac, they too have been knows to send motor vibrations to the frame.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:19 AM
ricaroo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wiz,Snipper77

I did what was suggested and I still have the vibration in the floor boards and highway pegs between 2100 and 3000 rpms then it smooths out again.

I tried running down the highway and shutting off the engine and the vibs go away I also tried just pulling in the clutch and the vibs are still present.

When I put the tip of my finger on the air cleaner (at the same time I have the vibration in the floor boards and highway pegs) I can feel the same wibes I get in the floor boards and highway pegs.

I put in a new set of plugs and a new front motor mount and I still get the vibration.

The vibration feels like a strong buzz under your feet. No vibration in seat or handlebars

Thanks

Rick

Can this be a tuning issue?

Old 07-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Could be rick... if you worked on the pipes and mounts and the vib is still there yet gone when you shut down it could be in the tune. Stranger things have happened.

If you ask your dealer about it they will give you the same song and dance given to everyone else... harley's vibrate, get over it.

May want to try a tuner such as a TTS (my fav), SEST or PCV or TMax. You could also try a local Harley Indy tech and ask his opinion.

My vibration is gone now but yours is something else completely different than the norm. At least you have the normal causes checked and fixed so you can go from here.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:34 AM
shezaharley
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks to Mr. Wizard, snyper77 and everyone else. This thread is many months old and still helping newbies. We just did the Stage1 and the fuel pak and the advice found here was just what I needed to fix my newly acquired vibration problem.

Liz

Last edited by shezaharley; 05-13-2011 at 09:46 AM.