Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Mastertune tts: How much computer needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Mastertune tts: How much computer needed?

While I am waiting on the painter, I want to buy whatever computer I need for the TTS. I do not have a laptop at this time. So whatever I buy I would like it to be small enough to pack on the bike during trips and use to internet.
Does TTS require a full featured laptop or can I use the smaller note book or net book types?
Recommendations?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by U-234
While I am waiting on the painter, I want to buy whatever computer I need for the TTS. I do not have a laptop at this time. So whatever I buy I would like it to be small enough to pack on the bike during trips and use to internet.
Does TTS require a full featured laptop or can I use the smaller note book or net book types?
Recommendations?
This is a great post. It will open up a whole new can of worms.

It doesn't take a ton of computing power to use the TTS. NOTE: this includes the SERT/SEST/PCX/TMax/TSII or any other tuning product that I can think of. I have an old Win 98 box with serial ports that I still use sometimes. I've a reman Dell Inspiron with USB ports and Win XP that I use mostly and a Lenovo think pad too.

I would really like to have something with a SSD though.. Solid State Drive. If you hit a bump your hard drive could skip or stop the data process to start over again. Not so with the SSD.

ASUS Eee PC 900 Netbook with Intel®Mobile is a good one but to get your dollars worth you need to watch the CPU size and SSD size. Used is OK, they will hold a charge about 3 hours of use or 5 hours of standby.

They make all kinds of these. Only has a 900 or 1.6 processor and the SSD's are small.. somewhere between 8GIG and 30gig. They make a touch pad tablet too if you are brave enough to put one on the fairing and go ride. You can see your data hits then.

In any case, if you got about 200 bucks for a decent reman or small laptop you are golden.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 07-20-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added comment with NOTE:
Old 07-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mr Wizard
I've got an 10 year old laptop about to crater I think.
Use it only to tune the bike with TTS.
question.
I see this Asus900 can be had with windows XP. How do you hook up the serial port?
Adapters? something like that?
Probably a dumb question but seems I am falling further and further behine with whats new.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
Mr Wizard
I've got an 10 year old laptop about to crater I think.
Use it only to tune the bike with TTS.
question.
I see this Asus900 can be had with windows XP. How do you hook up the serial port?
Adapters? something like that?
Probably a dumb question but seems I am falling further and further behine with whats new.
Hey Gunny

Yep, an adapter. It's best to use the one that is sold by the tuning mfg. I have two which is the one the mfg sells and another Belkin. Cheap USB to Serial adapters are questionable and some have had flashing or data recording issues with cheap adapters.

sorry, that was a mouth full.

I would really like to have the little Asus with the SSD but you can easily purchase a SSD and put it in a laptop you already own.. little pricey though. I hear they are fast as slick snot.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:08 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Worms? As long as I get enough worms to go fishing.
Just checked eBay. Lowest price for a buy it now for a refurbished Asus Eee 900 with 1 gb ram and 16 gig ssd is $146.44. I like the idea of solid state. Is the 8.9 inch screen big enough? Most of the refurbs are under $200-w- ship.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Thanks

U-234.
No expert here but somewhere I think be sure it has windows XP.
I have to be very **** with computers cause really this is all magic. firmally believe.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Yep... should look for Win XP... they also have Win 7 too. Some also use Linux so make sure you look before you leap.

8" is pretty small but it will fit in any saddle bag or even in front of a fairing or on a tank if you want... just don't get caught. Mr. LEO may not be impressed. There are larger screen units.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:05 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Not no computer wizard here! In fact just barely know how to turn one on. My biggest concern was needing one that I could install the program on from the cd. This one has window7 and according to Doc ,I will be good to go.At my age its all I can do to see this one clear and it has a 15in screen, going blind!!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 PM
blawson
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at a smaller gateway, figured it would be perfect. Had more horsepower than a netbook, but still very small and portable. Model was Gateway EC1803u with 11.6 inch screen. Can be had for $350 from tigerdirect, or less if you use Bing by the end of the month. Only downside to this one is its not an SSD

I ended up fixing my old one for the time being, but I was ready to pull the trigger on this one.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

How do you input this Asus 900?
Does it have a Disk drive? to load the tts disk?
How do you save things?

Hate not knowing everything there is to know.

Well I got to looking.
Seems, if I am right, I can use a UBS flash thing to load the Asus with from the big computer I have to get the program onto it. Then after I do what I want to do and get to where I want to save a copy I can do the same back.

Does that seem right??

what a world.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 07-21-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Mastertune tts: How much computer needed?