Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Mastertune tts: How much computer needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This little Asus 900 comes with Windows XP, it is not empty. Mine came with Windows XP Home and there is about 9 Gigs of unnecessary, (for tuning ) stuff.
Has Office, has this and that. Norton Internet etc,etc. These newer windows come with a lot of baggage.
Removed all I could for now and still has 6 gigs now.
But thats OK.

Lord knows what Windows XP Pro has built in.

For the Money??? Fatastic value.

Probably could have left it alone as TTS takes less that 50 Megs.

And yes I did disk checking and defragment. and will do these things as time goes on.

Thanks Mr Wizard. This thing comes almost 1/2 loaded up. That did bother me cause reliablility is what you need.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 07-29-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:35 PM
JOHNNYWISHBONE
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you can afford a laptop, you can afford getting the bike to a real dyno tuner.
do it right.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Only time this bike ever saw the dealer was the 1000K check.
Had to go home and readjust the clutch. Waste of time and money.
I buy parts from them and talk to the girls behine the counter. One or two of them know more about HD's then the techs in the shop. One builds and rides her own bike. I trust her.

Wouldn't even think about letting them tune on this thing. They, service writers, stick their nose in the air and I can't even go back to look.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
This little Asus 900 comes with Windows XP, it is not empty. Mine came with Windows XP Home and there is about 9 Gigs of unnecessary, (for tuning ) stuff.
Has Office, has this and that. Norton Internet etc,etc. These newer windows come with a lot of baggage.
Removed all I could for now and still has 6 gigs now.
But thats OK.

Lord knows what Windows XP Pro has built in.

For the Money??? Fatastic value.

Probably could have left it alone as TTS takes less that 50 Megs.

And yes I did disk checking and defragment. and will do these things as time goes on.

Thanks Mr Wizard. This thing comes almost 1/2 loaded up. That did bother me cause reliablility is what you need.
Get rid of the Norton and install threatfire and malwarebytes from download.com. These apps are free, smaller and you can get the Norton tentacles out of your hair. Really depends on if you are going to use the Asus for normal daily email or browsing.

Asus makes a very nice tablet now with a 32g SSD, faster processor and windows 7. I would love to grab that little ditty up but for 400.00 +... not right now.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Yeah I didn't even install Norton. Was there but not activated. Gone now.
I have had experience with Norton before. As you said, Tentacles everywhere, seemed.

Don't, for tuning, need much. The only online this will ever see is Microsoft for updates, TTS for updates and Asus for its home page for updates also, cause it goes there.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:57 AM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Just got my Asus yesterday. I am playing with it this morning. The first first that I got rid of was Microsoft Office. It boots up a lot faster now and reacts to inputs faster. Along with Office I got rid of Office Viewer and Office Assistant. I know that's just a start on extra programs but just getting rid of Office is a great improvement on speed.
As for using it on the bike, not yet. I am waiting on the paint.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Yeah its got more than needed for tuning . Way it is today.

Windows has a lot of extra stuff running unless you trim things.

I on my home computer wondered why the processer and ram was using so much power all the time after going to Vista a couple of years ago.

That Side Bar thing that just comes on without asking was using about 40% processor and Ram capacity. Surprised me.

Got rid of that.

Gotta look at what everything is doing.

I know one thing the older I get the less Gadgets I need.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:34 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I removed more of the Windows stuff and Norton today. For protection I use McAfee Total Protection. I already had a 3 PC protection disk that was installed on 2 pcs. I had almost 11 gig of space left on the SSD.

There is no need to buy a USB DVD/CD unit. To copy the TTS CD on a USB thumb drive do this: (Directions are written for those that are not too computer literate.)
Put your thumb drive or whatever you are using in a USB port on your desktop (home computer). Know your port. Is it E, H, J etc.
Put TTS CD in your desktop. Don't choose install. Choose "Open". Highlight all that's shown. Mine had 9 folders.
To highlight all, click the first folder (for me it was Adobe). Now hold down the "Shift" key. Click on the last folder (for me me "Autorun Setup Info"). All should be highlighted blue.
Place pointer on one of the blue highlights and right click.
Choose "Send To". And send it to your USB drive.
After it is finished you don't just pull the thumb drive off.
You have to find the "Safe to Remove Hardware" icon. Down on bottom right of your task bar. I didn't know this until my son told me a couple of years ago.

Place thumb drive in USB port on your laptop. Laptop will find new hardware (mine said "Removable Disk E:" Pay attention to the drive name. You will need it. Cancel or exit that box. You don't want to open the folders on the thumb drive yet.
Put pointer on "Start". Choose "Run". Choose "Browse". Click the down arrow in the "Look in" box at the top. Pick your drive. In my case remember it was "E".
Choose "autorun". Choose "Open".
Now the "Run" box should appear with your chosen drive and autorun.exe.
Choose "OK".
You are now ready to "Install Products".
Your HD is Delphi Equipped.

I installed the manuals on my desktop and on the laptop. My desktop is in the den next to the garage so it will be easy for me to read directions on it while I use the TTS.

There may be an easier way than this but this is what worked for me. For the McAfee install the "Install" icon worked after I put the CD on USB. But on the TTS the "autorun" would not open when clicked.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Or you could simply go to the TTS Mastertune site, click on Harley Davidson then calibrations on the left. Then click on Updater.zip on the right and run the file. This will load the TTS updater program. Run the Updater program and install the TTS programs you need. You can choose not to install the manuals if you want to save a little space on your drive.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

I was pretty sure there was a way.

I have found that life is not straight forward, it is full of workarounds. Everwhere.