Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Mastertune tts: How much computer needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
How do you input this Asus 900?
Does it have a Disk drive? to load the tts disk?
How do you save things?

Hate not knowing everything there is to know.
Me either my friend... drives me nuts.

I haven't had one in my hand but all you need to do is visit the TTSMastertune site, go to the HD calibrations page and download their "updater" file. Run this file and the TTS software will be on your ASUS.

If it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive then you can copy your disk's to an external drive or flash drive and install them on the ASUS. A computer this small probably doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. This is the wave of the future for laptops.

The ASUS has a hard drive but it will be a solid state drive. No moving parts and much faster than a disk type drive either IDE or SATA. The SSD's come in several sizes but personally I don't want an 8 gig or 16gig drive. They also come in many operating system styles. Win XP, Win 7 and Linux. I do not want Linux as most everyone else.

Please don't purchase one of these computers to replace your existing laptop or to use for any purpose until you have had one in your hand and tested it's speed and comfort. They are small with a fast hard drive that has no moving parts so it's shock proof. Their computing capacity is slow as well as their RAM size. XP will be OK with 1 gig as long as there are no other programs on the ASUS, Win 7 requires more RAM so you may have to upgrade the RAM...

OK, I'm getting long winded again but please, please don't run out and get one of these until you've played around with one. They aren't for everyone but they are great for tuning.

-wiz

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 07-21-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, exactly what I needed.

I have build my own computer but lately, last couple of years, the way things are going, it just goes on without me.
For me its like what would I do with generation 4? whatever thing.
And actually except for this site I don't chit-chat.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:11 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Mr. Wizard,"Please don't purchase one of these computers to replace your existing laptop or to use for any purpose until you have had one in your hand and tested it's speed and comfort. "

Too late. I already paid for a refurbished Asus on eBay. It has XP, 1Gig, 16 SSD and WiFi. It was a little less than $150. I just want it for the TTS and to use it on trips for the internet. I never had a laptop and know very little about them, but I am fairly knowledgeable about desktops. Will let everyone know how it works out.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

LOL.... you'll be fine then..

The issue is they are really small and a bit slow but work great for tuning.. Hope you don't have fat fingers.

After this thread, Fleabay is wondering why the rush on ASUS mini's

Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
Thanks, exactly what I needed.

I have build my own computer but lately, last couple of years, the way things are going, it just goes on without me.
For me its like what would I do with generation 4? whatever thing.
And actually except for this site I don't chit-chat.
Gunny, my office looks like hell all the time, servers and routers and paperwork everywhere. It's nice to work out of your home office but if I clean up I have no idea where I'm at.

I too build my own computing stuff and take care of my network systems across my office locations around town. Without a doubt it is getting tougher to keep up with all the new technology.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Well I have ordered from Ebay one of these Asus 900 with win XP home.
And a Belkin F5u409V1. Works with 32 bit XP.

I hope these things will work. "They" said they would.

Not worried about the size cause I already have some 4X glasses from Dr Leonard if I have too.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most, if not all notebook size computers do not have a CD ROM drive but a USB external drive can be bought off E-bay for $30~$40 new. I bought a small Toshiba notebook with a lot of nice features but found out that the hard drive has an automatic parking feature that activates if you breath on it hard. So far I've been unable to defeat it. I wonder if Best Buy would have kicked me out if I picked up & shook their demo models?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Man I don't know.

My plan is to use my home computer to transfer the needed programs to tune and gather data with, using the cable adapter. And also use the cable adapter to hook up to the little TTS doddle.
Then use a thumb thing to save back and forth, and to keep a saved tune.
Something like that.
I feel sure that won't work smoothly, seems nothing goes like you might thing.

Look at me acting like I got a plan.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 07-22-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Got the little Asus 900 in, got the Bilkins Adapter in, got a flash drive. Had to get a external usb dvd/cd drive from WM and now this thing is good to go.
Hooked it up to the Fatboy and saved a startup and warmup. did great. Really pleased with this little thing. And can save the Map program with the flash drive. All this new tech is really something. Had been right there with a floppy. What'll they think of next.

All updated also as the little notebook went right online no problem, using the home computer cable setup. That surprised me a little but really glad.
Tried to workaround with the flash drive to load but gave up and got the cd drive.

Was worrying me as the problems kept adding up. Why take the canch with the Harley ECM. Can be hard enough on a good day. So I cut to the chase and installed straight up. I think there must be a little thing on the disk that is needed from the beginning. Wasn't able to get it to work from a copy or save to the flash drive. Tried to, but then got the, "Windows cannot open, etc,etc".

The old Tosheba hard drive will not start and I have fiddled with it. Hardwear connections and stuff. Maybe Goodwill can use it.

Nick of time.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 07-29-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Gunny...

Be sure to use the tools options and defrag for the SSD. When the hard drive get's to be about half full the SSD will degrade the sectors if the silicone isn't pure. You may loose sectors and the disk maintenance will mark those bad sectors and move your information to another area of the SSD. You can use disk compression on the SSD to increase its size and it will last longer.

Articles on the SSD state that while mechanical drives have about a 1% return rate the SSD has up to a 20% technical return. The above maintenance will help the SSD last to its warranty period period of 5 years. If you don't pull monthly maintenance... 2 to 3 years of life span is all you will get and degraded bites in return.

Quick Reply: Mastertune tts: How much computer needed?