Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

dyno tune made bike worse

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 PM
waynemags
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dyno tune made bike worse

had mine dyno tuned. rinehart true duals, SE hheads, SE 258 cams, SE throttl body, i think bigger injectors. K&N filter. on a 99 road king. bike ran great before but was a gas pig. now its making 99.4 HP and 105.4 torque. the down side is it feels boggy at 2500to about 3500. seems to be flat.kinda hesitates a bit when you crack it. wasnt like that before. also has the PCIII installed. tuner says it runs better, but i say different. whats an easy way to change this? im gonna call tommorow and see what the AF mixture was. any suggestions?

Old 07-19-2010, 06:54 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

find another tuner... that is the easy way

Old 07-19-2010, 07:43 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you have the dyno sheet? Does it show a flat spot in that rpm range?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:03 AM
TickTock
Club Member

You will need more than a dyno sheet to show what is going on. You really need the run with the tp/rpm combination of where the problem is happening. Most of the time you get the final dyno sheet at wot and not all of the intermediate working runs - where you will find the issue.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 PM
waynemags
Cruiser

i definately cant afford another 400 bones for another dyno. just wondering how much of a chore it will be to adjust my pcIII.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:13 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by waynemags
i definately cant afford another 400 bones for another dyno. just wondering how much of a chore it will be to adjust my pcIII.
You could always call fuelmoto and see if they have something for your set up. Perhaps they would sell you one cheap.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:21 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master

had mine dyno tuned. rinehart true duals, SE hheads, SE 258 cams, SE throttl body, i think bigger injectors. K&N filter. on a 99 road king. bike ran great before but was a gas pig. now its making 99.4 HP and 105.4 torque. the down side is it feels boggy at 2500to about 3500. seems to be flat.kinda hesitates a bit when you crack it. wasnt like that before. also has the PCIII installed. tuner says it runs better, but i say different. whats an easy way to change this? im gonna call tommorow and see what the AF mixture was. any suggestions?
The tune is not right!!! Take it back,or to another tuner!!!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:48 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you keep the old map? If so, do a map-compare in the software and see how the table values have changed in the 2500-3000 range. Throttle position is important too, so determine what TP the behavior happens before analyzing the tables. You could simply transpose the values in that RPM range from the old to the new map between 20-100% TP and you should be good.

If you don't have the old map (hereafter Map 1) to refer to, first save the new map (Map 2) to your computer hard-drive and give it a unique filename that will identify it for possible later use. Then using the "map compare" feature look at the values between 2500-3000 RPMs and 20-100% TP in both tables (front and rear cylinders), if it is an advanced map. If it is a basic map the two cylinders will both use one table. If the values are greater in Map 2 in that range add +5 to each cell. Again, if it is an advanced map you'll need to do this for both tables.

If 5% helps but feels like it needs more, add another 5 to each cell in that range. If it makes it worse it could be that the tuner added too much fuel to that area and you'll need to go in the other direction by subtracting fuel from each cell in that range.

If you get it running well again (i.e. without the flat spot), change the values at 20% back to those in Map 2 and if it doesn't make any difference leave them there. I'm just leery about adding fuel near the cruise range since it may affect gas mileage.

Last edited by iclick; 07-20-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

The bottom line is if you just paid...and your not happy.....they have to take it back and explore your complaints. I cant see them even thinking about charging you...

Old 07-20-2010, 12:51 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

You seem to be happy overall with the tune and just a complaint under specific conditions. I think it would be reasonable for him to want you to be a bit more precise as to exactly what conditions. Particularly a precise enough description he could go out on the street and see exactly what you mean. Also a second scenerio where that's what you expect, versus what it does in the other. If your can do that then I think it's reasonable to expect him to correct it.

It may not be wrong from a technical perspective. That being it's doing exactly as he intended. He is wrong through if he thinks you're perfectly happy. When it comes to customer satisfaction the customer is always right in that regard. I can't imagine it takes retuning the bike. He might feel whatever it takes to make you happy is silly, but that is not a reason to do it. That assuming it's a trivial thing to do. He doesn't have to play guessing games as to what you think the problem is and what might make you happy. He can't spend the rest of his life dinking with your bike, but he could spend 15-30 minutes to make a happy customer.

Quick Reply: dyno tune made bike worse