Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

who is telling the truth

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:51 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
I am trying to find a good picture, but hopefully this will be a start:
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97992

You are looking for a part (marked in picture) 72164-94 (the part number is 72164-94a). This is what it is my 07 FLHX and I assume it is still the same on your bike.

Here is a picture of what the cables look like with a sepst
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Screa...Q5fAccessories

The orange/black one is what plugs into the bike. Find the other half and you are there!
Thank you very much for the info.
I just went out and found it under the seat. My Son just came by and looked at it. He said he cant just hook it up because his computer won't understand what to do with it. He said I need to buy all the software and cables before he can help me. So I don't know if I want to spend anther $100 on parts.
BTW the 3rd guy Greg never called me today and I'm not sure he ever will.
The first guy said he would dyno tune it for around $150 and said he would re-tune it for free if I wasn't happy with his tune....I got to think about this.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:27 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally if you're running the canned map then I don't see the hurry. That's, pretty much, like running the stock bike with the stock calibration. That would qualify as a bad tune. If you were going for a million miles you would need several overhauls. Keeping it well tuned would be one of the things you can do to reduce the frequency you needed them. Maybe by 60k-80k miles you could move wear than you would otherwise have, but you're likely good for 100k miles or more.

So it isn't as though you need to run out and get a tune immediately nor buy the cables and software immediately. An incompetent tune could show on the spark plugs much more quickly as could an arrogant tune. A bad tune is simply little better than what you have. You can get, at least, that from about any harley dealer. A bad tune is, generally, a person that knows what they are doing, but just can't get the work done in the time alloted. So they do what they can which simply isn't as much as they should have.

When it comes to incompetence you have to worry about those people launching your bike off the end of the dyno because they forgot to tie it down. I've never much seen incompetence knows any bounds. It really takes arrogance to screw up the bike through the calibration. That isn't not knowing what they are doing, but knowing and doing something else in the insistance they know better. That would be you firing up the software, setting all the values to minimum possible, then maximum, just to see what happens when they told you clearly, small changes. That's saying black smoke out the tailpipe is perfectly normal because you like it rich. That's running so lean that you're constantly over 300F believing you're going to get 100 mpg and the bike can take it. It isn't not knowing what you're doing, but no one able tell you anything.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:24 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

UP DATE.
As my bike gets more miles on her the decell popping and low speed backfires seem to be getting worse. I cant find any leaks in the exhaust so I think I will have it tuned. The 3rd guy just wasn't really interested in using my SEST so that leaves me with the local HD Dealer or the indy 'Back Draft Custom Cycle' I called Jason at Back Draft today he said 2 things that seemed odd to me. First he wanted to know if I still had the o2 sensors in my pipes I said yes, then he said 'that's good' I have no idea why that is good. Then he ask if I still had the cat-converter and I said no because I have all new pipes, then he said that's good too because he has a 10 FLH on his dino right now and he said that catalic converter is giving him some trouble. I sure hope the guy knows what he 's doing. I wish I had a friend around the Lansing are that had the cables and knowledge that could help me with this stuff, but I don't. My Son said this is one thing he want's nothing to do with and he strongly suggested I keep my hands off of it. He knows how bad I am with computers. What I'm doing right now is the one and only thing I can do on a computer. I have this Tuesday off so I think I will ride over there and see if I can get some time with Jason and try to see if I can get more comfortable with him tuning my Harley...Thanks.