Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

O2 sensors with Power Comander V

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LilBudyWizer
What baggage is it's open loop so it can't adjust for altitude changes.
This is absolutely untrue and is a common misconception. The PCIII and PCV all operate with full use of the bike's on-board sensors (except O2), including the MAP sensor which adjusts for altitude, humidity, etc. No sensor except the O2 sensors are disabled using the PC, and with optional Auto-Tune you are equipped with wide-band O2 sensors that auto-tune in real time throughout the RPM and TP range. These sensors do a very good job of keeping AFR's in line. If you're worried about it you can always add Auto-Tune to the PCV.

As mentioned before, the stock O2 sensors make only very small changes to AFRs and only in part-throttle conditions, mostly to meet strict EPA requirements. Even if they were a moderate player in adjusting for altitude they couldn't adjust very much and couldn't make any changes above about 50% TP. Most of the adjustments made for altitude originate with the MAP sensor, not the O2 sensors.

What baggage is it's a piggyback unit so you still have the ECM. That creates points of failure not otherwise present. It's a fine product, a quality product. You aren't a fool for using one by any means, but you are blind if you cannot see it has it's disadvantages.
It does add another piece of hardware to the mix, but how is this "baggage"? Few PC's fail, and if it does all you need to do is disconnect it and you're quickly running on the bike's original ECM configuration. In the years I've discussed these topics here and other forums I have never heard of one rider who's had to do this on the road, much less been stranded because of a failed PC. Have you? If so, could you link us to a discussion of that failure? I don't suggest that failures have not happened, as I'm sure they have, but have not heard of one example.

They have room for improvement. Since they are piggybacking off the ECM they could read the calibration off the ECM. I believe the TTS unit does.
The PC does "read the calibration off the ECM." It simply alters the calibration downstream of the ECM, so the end-result is the same as you would have with a flash-based tuner, as neither the injectors nor the ignition-coil know the difference. Adding 15% fuel to a given RPM/TP position with a flash-based tuner is the same as adding 15% with a PCV after the fact.

People do have problems with failures of the connectors and the product itself.
Problems with the connectors usually involves water intrusion, but that is rare and can be easily prevented by using dielectric grease when assembling the connector as is suggested in the install instructions. Remember, the connector used is the same as in the stock configuration, so this could theoretically happen in a stock bike or one upgraded to a flash-based tuner like TTS or SEST.

They could make a more robust product. Who would complain about the same product at the same price failing less often. That isn't saying they fail so often they are piece of crap, but they do fail and as such they could fail less often. This not your God, this is a piece of electronics plugged into your bike.
I'm tried to understand what you're saying here, so correct me if I am doing a poor job of interpreting it. Why do you think the PC is not robust? How many problems have you seen resulting from its use? Yes, there are a few, but thousands of PCs have been sold and the vast majority of owners are very happy with them, including me. Some ECMs fail, but that too is a rare event.

I love my harley but, sometimes, I have to wonder just wtf they were thinking. I would love it if they built and all out dragster to go with the V-Rod. Turn? Why would you want to do that? Both on the bike I have and their product lineup there's room for improvement. They have yet to acheive everlasting perfection. Niether has DynoJet or any other company I know of.
When you find it, let us all know so we can follow your path!

Last edited by iclick; 07-21-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:08 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
I am not 100% positive on the newer PC, but the past versions only received the signal from the ECM and modified it and sent it forward. This was done at run time of the bike each and every time. There was not two way communication. This is why the PC is preferred by some as it does not leave a footprint behind.

The TTS, SERT and SESPT rewrite the tables on the ECM. This is the main difference between the two products.
This is all true. One thing that should be mentioned here is that all the flash-based tuners are married to the bike they're installed on. The PCV can be detached in minutes and either transferred to another bike or resold if not compatible.

I'm not bad-mouthing other products by saying this, but am merely stating facts. If I had TTS, SEST, or SERT I would keep it and make the best use of it. I decided to go another direction and am doing the same, which is maximizing that tuners capability. IMO you can get an optimal tune with any of these products, but they just work in different ways and have different feature sets. Which is best for me isn't necessarily best for the next guy.

Last edited by iclick; 07-21-2010 at 01:24 PM.