Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

07 FXDB is running rich with SERT, anything I can do to correct it myself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:10 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Since I think TTS will gives you a good deal on the upgrade, you may want to think about the tuning advantage its Vtune feature would provide you. You basically use it to dyno the bike yourself, very good street results. It also includes a feature rich data recording tool that you can use to look at your sensors to see what's going on in the bike. I think the SERT has something similar but perhaps not as feature rich.
Yes, VTune is almost like Smart Tune. However Smart Tune does a better job of setting up the tables for data recording.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:32 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by strikerdod
Thanks guys, I'm going to try to get acclimated with the SERT software tonight. It's not that I don't like working with it, I booted it up once out of curiousity, tried opening a map or two. I remember seeing alot of map files, and I wasn't able to determine which bike the individual maps were for, so I stopped exploring there.

But yeah, the bike has always acted like this since it was new, and I'm just getting on to it now because I saw how fouled up the spark plugs are. I'm also going to check the condition of the O2 sensors.
I think your best bet is to use the SERT, find a map that is closest to what you have and use that. If your O2 sensors aren't working you may have some poblems in the closed loop areas. But at least this is a start.

Once you get a handle on the problems you are currently having you can consider any upgrades.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
Yes, VTune is almost like Smart Tune. However Smart Tune does a better job of setting up the tables for data recording.
I would think it is the other way around because with the TTS you get get to set the tables.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:50 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
Doesn't he have to buy a SESPT or something newer to use the smart tune software (along with buying the software)? Does smart tune work with the old SERT interface unit? What about My tune?

The reason I suggested looking at the TTS as thats $100 out of pocket where a new SESPT thing is like $400. That way he can use the data master recording and the O2 data to tune himself instead of depending on a tuner or making guesses.

My friends say that the TTS data master is much more feature rich and can record for longer periods of time than the SESPT, but I dunno. You can get troubleshooting data out of both.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:46 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Doesn't he have to buy a SESPT or something newer to use the smart tune software (along with buying the software)? Does smart tune work with the old SERT interface unit? What about My tune?

The reason I suggested looking at the TTS as thats $100 out of pocket where a new SESPT thing is like $400. That way he can use the data master recording and the O2 data to tune himself instead of depending on a tuner or making guesses.

My friends say that the TTS data master is much more feature rich and can record for longer periods of time than the SESPT, but I dunno. You can get troubleshooting data out of both.
My suggestion to the OP was to go with what he has and load a base map close to his bike. This is at no additional cost.

My remark about Smart Tune was just a comparison to VTune. The TTS tells you set up certain tables or data recording. SESTP sets these up for you when you check the box this is for Smart Tune.

TTS can obviousely record for longer periods of time since you are recording to a computer that you are lugging around with you instead of a cigarett pack sized device. I put the device on my bike and rode thirty minutes to work, and thirty minutes home. I downloaded two complete datafiles to examine.

I have heard several times what your friends say about the TTS, what is your experience?

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 07-04-2010 at 12:11 PM.