Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

HELP! I can't diagnose starting issue!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:26 AM
2kanzam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! I can't diagnose starting issue!!

Ok, let's get these outta the way: Battery is good, checked connections, has fuel, it is in neutral or clutched....it is an '08 Nightster.

Some days no issue at all....others, well....

This issue just pops up seemingly randomly with no connection to temperature/ weather and then will go away for awhile, long enough for me to think it fixed itself. I initially though it was the bike sitting for a week or two without being ridden (I know I know, but I've been outta town alot with the new job) because it seemed to act better when I was riding daily...but that thought has since faded.

The issue is SOMETIMES when I hit the start button, it just clicks. I'll cycle the off/run switch, run through the gears, turn the ignition off/on....It just seems that when it wants to, it'll finally turn the starter....sometimes with a very slight hesitation but it'll always turn over when the starter catches.

Usually (at least at one time) once I get it started, I can turn the bike off and it'll fire right back up....then it got a little worse...I'd have to ride down the street to get it to start-up normally....now I have to ride miles before it'll start up normally and, mind you this is all only when it is not working for me.

This issue seems to worsen every time it pops up. i.e It takes more tries to get started and I have to ride farther for the issue to disappear. Yesterday was the worst I have seen it. BUT yesterday was the first time it gave me issues in 4-5 weeks ( i thought it was better!?) with varied amount of riding frequency within those weeks....

My thought is that it either has to be a solenoid (but I hear the click when I hit start) or the starter itself....Any ideas or at least ideas on how to diagnose it?

I have the manual and I do all my own work on the bike but electrical systems are my weakest area of expertise.

Help guys, I'm worried I'm gonna get stuck out in the middle of nowhere!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:52 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My first thought would be to make sure you have good contact on the battery cables, then I would be wondering if the clutch interlock or neutral switch is starting to go out.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:10 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default test procedure

Originally Posted by 2kanzam
Ok, let's get these outta the way: Battery is good, checked connections, has fuel, it is in neutral or clutched....
You skipped over this part awfully fast.

Did you load-test the battery? What is the voltage? Have you checked ALL the necessary electrical connections for high resistance? If so, the starter solenoid contacts could be burned.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:26 PM
2kanzam
Tourer

Originally Posted by lo-rider
You skipped over this part awfully fast.

Did you load-test the battery? What is the voltage? Have you checked ALL the necessary electrical connections for high resistance? If so, the starter solenoid contacts could be burned.

I know, I need to get a multimeter......but when this happens there are no other elec symptoms like anemic horn, dim lights etc. so i guess I had written the battery stuff off....as I hinted at before: elctricals have always been *cross my fingers and give'er a shot* kinda thing.....

Old 06-27-2010, 12:37 PM
2kanzam
Tourer

Originally Posted by BennieSG
My first thought would be to make sure you have good contact on the battery cables, then I would be wondering if the clutch interlock or neutral switch is starting to go out.
See I thought this too but what would explain me not being able to start whether it is in neutral OR whether I have it in gear with the clutch in? Could a neutral switch be "frozen" with an in gear signal with the clutch switch just not working??

Old 06-27-2010, 12:55 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kanzam
See I thought this too but what would explain me not being able to start whether it is in neutral OR whether I have it in gear with the clutch in? Could a neutral switch be "frozen" with an in gear signal with the clutch switch just not working??
Sometimes those switch's start going bad and the symptoms are inter mitten working until they finally go out all together. Should not be all that common on an 08, but if everything else is good, this is where I would look.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:03 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

Check your connections beyond your battery. Including the ground strap to the engine. When you slide your battery out. Make sure you disconnect the ground at the motor before pulling it out. We have seen a few of these issues and found it to be at the battery ground. Mainly because of improper removal and install.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:34 PM
gnirtsnod
Cruiser

Late response but try this. Find where the staqrter relay wire enters a cream colored plastic connector on the solenoid and using your special tool (I use a plastic knife from Wendy's), press against the side of the plastic connector. Try starting. No luck? Push straight in on the connector.

With mine, an '07 Ultra, the solenoid has a spade-to-spade connection at this point. Either the spades are not coming in contact with one another or the soldered connection inside the solenoid is broken. Putting pressure on the connector as indicated may be enough to make the needed connection....plus you have a knife to cut your sandwich when you stop later.

You can also purchase an $85 end cap for your solenoid with a push button to manually engage the solenoid. And it comes in chrome, too.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:48 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I think your battery is bad. Like said before have it load tested. If it has a bad cell it will die under load. If it is bad, You can get a HD battery cheaper from East Penn Deka. They make all the HD batteries. Google their website and find a local distributor. Then go on Amazon and get a deltran 12v battery tender (same as the HD one for 1/2 price)and wire the pigtail to your battery so you can plug the tender in and keep your battery fully charged. be sure to follow the correct battery removal procedure.

Note: if you do get a new battery be sure to charge it completely before first use.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 09-02-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:40 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 801 Likes on 358 Posts

Have to agree with KBFX, sounds like your battery. Here's my thing: most people I have seen neglect their bikes,(not saying you), and don't realize that you should look to get a new battery every 2-3 years. I heard a guy in my local HD complaining about the same situation and I told him it sounded like his battery. I asked him how old the battery was and he said about 5 yrs. I then asked him if he put a tender on it when he stores it for the winter,(this is Chicago), and he stated he never has! I started laughing and told him he needs a new battery, and that he should start storing the bike properly. He then started to bitch about how much a new battery costs, at which point I turned around and told the parts guy quietly that he probably shouldn't have a bike to begin with. Just my 2 cents. Go get a new battery and get a tender if your gonna be out of town and not ride it for more than two weeks. Money well spent!!

Quick Reply: HELP! I can't diagnose starting issue!!