Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PC III usb Placement for a 06 softail

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 09:02 PM
code3dude77
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC III usb Placement for a 06 softail

I think I may be getting ripped off. I have a 06 Softail Springer FXSTSI. I installed the power commander myself exactly how dynojet recommends for the 06 softail, behind the mudguard between the oil tank. I have had some motor work done and a generic map was installed by the dealer who did the work. Without issues. Now in California HD dealers can't do any dyno tuning or non-street legal performance work, so I took my bike to a custom shop to have it dyno tuned. The tuner called me and told me whoever installed this pc III put it where it is and he spent an hour and a half just accessing it and has "never in a million years seen it installed there" I know its bullshit because I installed it and it takes 2 minutes to access it. I didn't say anything at the time cause this guy is tuning my bike and I don't want him messing with me. I was wondering if anybody else has had an issue with your power commander there and accessing it. Thanks for any input. Be safe.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:14 PM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: PC III usb Placement for a 06 softail

I dont know what dude is smokeing but,for the most part the install on most harleys is fairly simple and accessable!Show him a copy of the instructions if he's still ape shitting!Maybe he never tuned one on a springer?

Old 08-23-2006, 09:22 PM
code3dude77
Intermediate

Yeah Im planning on showing him the instructions when I go back in. It took me less time and no way did I have to pull the rear fender off to install it, then he is saying it took him. He called me after he already pulled off the fender too. Needless to say Im pretty pissed, cause he is going to want to charge me for it. All I had to do was pull off the mudguard which is 2 bolts to access it, Im bringing my wrench with me also. But Im going to wait till the work is done, cause if he's going to try and rip me off like this, Im willing to bet he'll mess my tuning up to if I call him on it.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Ned69
Advanced

Code3....take your tools with you, and prove it to hiim. Just be sure your bike is ready to ride out, and he doesn't have a chance to tweak anything after he gets it in his face.

Gmoney...that is a sweet RK! What'd those rims set you back??

Old 08-23-2006, 11:10 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Personally, I would have thanked him and moved on to a different shop. That guy has no business dyno'ing a PCIII... he has no experience with them on an '06, obviously. If he is certified by Dynojet you should complain to them. He hasn't got a clue...

C#

Old 08-24-2006, 11:14 AM
F117ewo
Cruiser

Code 3,

I have a 2006 FXSTSI also. I installed my PCIII myself as well. I first tried the standard softail instructions, which didn't work. There was no way the PCIII would fit under the seat following their directions. After thinking about it for a week or two, I followed the Deuce instructions which tell you to drop the relays down so everything will fit under the seat. I looked at dropping the inner fender to do what you did, but access was a bit tight. Now and I can just pop the seat to update my map. I'm using an M805-201 mao right now. Runs well. I'm very happy with the PCIII.

Jake

Old 08-25-2006, 09:59 AM
blainem
Intermediate

PC has come up with a deeper tray for the ECM so you can piggyback the PC onto it. You also have to lower the fuse/relay panel so it will fit fluch. My wrench was pretty impressed with PC on this setup since he's always had a tough time locating it on the Softails.
Good luck!!

Old 08-26-2006, 02:52 AM
code3dude77
Intermediate

blainem, are you sure there is a tray for the 06 models with the bobtail fender? Because of the new fender the ECM doesn't sit in a tray, its flat on the fender under the seat, at least that's how it is on my bike. The PC I have came with a tray but to my knowledge it doesn't fit on the 06 models.
ORIGINAL: blainem

PC has come up with a deeper tray for the ECM so you can piggyback the PC onto it. You also have to lower the fuse/relay panel so it will fit fluch. My wrench was pretty impressed with PC on this setup since he's always had a tough time locating it on the Softails.
Good luck!!

Old 08-28-2006, 07:43 AM
F117ewo
Cruiser

I didn't use the tray supplied with the PCIII either. The stock ECM bolts to a flat plate on the fender..and that's where it stays. The PCIII tray will not fit the FXSTSI. Drop the relays down a bit and you're in business. Took me a while to figure it out too. Wish the instructions were better written.

Jake

Old 08-28-2006, 03:57 PM
code3dude77
Intermediate

F117ewo,

So is your power commander located under the seat or behind the mudflap?

Quick Reply: PC III usb Placement for a 06 softail