Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

tts mastertune questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:38 PM
remmag
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tts mastertune questions

hey all
i am considering the tts master tune for my 03 roadking which no one has been able to tune (to run through all ranges at its best)
with my bike being an 03 and having no oxygen sensors would this unit be able to tune correctly , if need be can i add oxygen sensors (my bike does have the plugs for them in the exhaust
if you would and this is an option for me please explain what you guys think the benifits of the maser ttun are
thanks

Old 06-20-2010, 08:02 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

You may have to swap in a new ECU if it has no provision for O2 input. I forget the cutoff year, but it has been done often. Someone sells a relatively inexpensive kit for it.

If a pro dyno tune can't get it to run right, there may be something not working right in that engine. You use TTS to calibrate your bikes VE characteristics so the ECU can make better judgements about fuel. You can also play with the timing, but you need to know what you are doing as that is not automated. The biggest benefit is you can do this yourself and get near spot on results.

You can also use TTS to do data runs, where you record the various sensors and parameters, then look at the recording to get an idea of what going on This feature is very useful in troubleshooting. But again its just going to feed you raw data, there is a bit of guidance of what it all means in the manuals, but (depending on how familiar with EFI) you'd probably need to come back here to interpret it.

Last edited by ColdCase; 06-20-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:14 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by remmag
hey all
i am considering the tts master tune for my 03 roadking which no one has been able to tune (to run through all ranges at its best)
with my bike being an 03 and having no oxygen sensors would this unit be able to tune correctly , if need be can i add oxygen sensors (my bike does have the plugs for them in the exhaust
if you would and this is an option for me please explain what you guys think the benifits of the maser ttun are
thanks
If it were me (and it was last year on my wife's 03), I would scour ebay looking for a SERT that has not been used and take your bike and have it professionally tuned. I picked up a SERT for 150, spent 250 on a tune and her bike runs the best it ever has. She ran a power commander on it for years and it worked OK, but we were going on a long trip and I got concerned about rain getting into the unit and having damage (she has a solo seat, so the tray would be like a swimming pool).

I see no advantage to spending the extra money to add 02 sensors or the hassle of tuning it yourself with the setup you have. I would also consider getting a power commander since it is protected under a cover on the RK. They work very well and most people who use them are happy with them. You will also likely find plenty of maps that may work well with your setup without having to spend the money on a dyno tune right away.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it a Delphi or Magneti Marelli? I don't know when HD switched over.

Since you don't have O2 sensors, maybe a PC would be an easier option.

If you really want perfomance, a TTS or SESTP would give a Dyno tuner more control for a real perfomance tune though.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 06-20-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:41 AM
remmag
Cruiser

thanks everyone
cold case, are you saying that even though my bike has no o2 sensors, there may be provisions for them in the existing ecu, how can i tell
as of now the bike is at a harley mechanics house , i explained my problems and he put a fuel pak on it and it did run better but cauphed through the air filter and seemed to bog down at times, i have been down the fuel pak road before with out great results

he intended to put the mastertune on the bike but felt it would not be benificial without the o2 sensors to properly tune it
i have reinheat true duals that do have the provisions for the sensors

thanks

Old 06-20-2010, 10:16 AM
user 9375875
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need a 2005 or later ECM to support the O2 sensors. - Or, you need to get a HD 'Service Module' replacement ECM for your bike. These must be initially programmed by the dealer for your bike with your VIN#.

At this time, TTS only supports the closed loop conversion back to 2004, but you might contact them to see if this could be extended to earlier years. I think the issue is low demand and having some older bikes to test with.

That said, the TTS will allow you to properly tune your existing ECM, but you will need to dyno it for optimum results, depending on your mods. Just remember that the TTS (and SERT/SEST) marries to the ECM so if the ECM is changed in the future they will no longer work for programming.

--Gary

Last edited by user 9375875; 06-20-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:38 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

If you just want to get the bike running right, either a SERT or TTS would give your mechanic enough capability if he also has a dyno. Switching ECUs out and welding in bungs so you can use TTS only makes sense (to me) if you have a more modified rig, you (or you mechanic) does not have convenient access to a dyno, or you want to tune it yourself.

I agree with TickTock in that your best option is finding a shop with a competent dyno tuner/mechanic and have them put on a SERT or TTS, whichever is less money. Both provide the same thing to a dyno operator and they can certainly use either.

A PCV or III may also work, but you are still talking a chance and will probably end up on a dyno anyway because there may be something unusual about the bike that a dyno operator can correct for. It is a gamble, but your call. You are probably talking about the same money in the end, so I'd go with a SERT or TTS as there is no add on module and there are enough ***** there to tweak that the mechanic should be able to get it to run right.

Last edited by ColdCase; 06-20-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by remmag
thanks everyone
cold case, are you saying that even though my bike has no o2 sensors, there may be provisions for them in the existing ecu, how can i tell
as of now the bike is at a harley mechanics house , i explained my problems and he put a fuel pak on it and it did run better but cauphed through the air filter and seemed to bog down at times, i have been down the fuel pak road before with out great results

he intended to put the mastertune on the bike but felt it would not be benificial without the o2 sensors to properly tune it
i have reinheat true duals that do have the provisions for the sensors

thanks
A good tuner could give you what you want on a dyno using a TTS or SESTP and a gas analyzer like a twinscan.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 06-20-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:11 PM
remmag
Cruiser

guys i am trying my best to understand all this
1. if i go with the sert or tts is there maps my mechanic can download to get me by this year , then next year take it to harley and have them dyno tune, or for that approch use the power commander

2.would the harley dealer have access to the tuinscan , there are no good dyno tuners that i know of in the knoxville,tn area

cold case you mentioned a pvc or III may also work, is that a power commander

thanks for your patience guys

Old 06-20-2010, 08:06 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

SERT has maps for HD components only. TTS has a broader range of maps. Their web page at mastertune.net has a cal file listing. These work pretty good, but because they expect you to VTune or dyno tune, they may not be right on the money. I'm just not familiar with 03 vintage stuff. You (or your mechanic) will need some sort of computer to load the map onto your bike, and to tinker.

You may find the HD dealer wants to use SERT only, you may want to check. Some dealers don't care, and can tune anything.

Yes the PCV and PCIII are versions of the power commanders. The PCV is the more sophisticated version, more sophisticated than a fuel pack. A place like fuel-moto (site supporter) may be able to sell you one with a customized map that works well for your bike.

A PCV should be less money to dyno tune as power commander tuners have a step by step software that quickly walks them through.

I dunno what to tell you, but since you have a near stock bike, a PCV or equivalent fuelmoto tuner module with a fuelmoto map may be your best bet for now. If you have problems, like bogging down, they have been known to provide you tweaked maps. There are a lot of happy customers out there. You may be able to get away with a less expensive PC III, but talk to Jamie at fuel moto. He is suppose to be a straight shooter when it comes to power commanders.

Quick Reply: tts mastertune questions