Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Quick SERT question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Micah
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick SERT question

I bought my 06 Softail standard without a tuner but the shop says its been tuned with a SERT and they can do nothing to it because of this. My question is...If I buy the SERT will it work on a bike that has been tuned with another SERT or am I just screwed? Thanks, Micah

Old 06-13-2010, 04:41 PM
flhtc07ok
Advanced

Micah -

The SERT marries the ECM, not the ECM marrying the SERT. The dongle, or interface box registers the ECM and becomes a one bike device. I realy don't know how your shop was able to tell that your bike had been previously tuned, but if you buy a new SERT, it will work. The shops can load the canned Stage I without a SERT, but beyond that, access to the tuning parameters is very limited without the interface.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Micah
5th Gear

Awesome, I will buy one then and have an able bodied person tune it for me. Either that or play around with it and do it myself. Thanks, Micah

Old 06-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Might be worth a call to whoever you bought it from? Maybe the SERT is kicking around somewhere.

It is no good to anyone as far as re-sale once it is married to your bike. In fact when I had my build done they told me to keep the module and a copy of the map disc on the bike with me when heading out of town in case something went haywire we could get it back to where it was.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Micah
5th Gear

Tried that but the guy claims not to have it any longer.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:00 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you wanted to use a PCV or other add on module, you'd want to have the bike reloaded with the stock MAP as these work based off of a known map.

Both the SESPT (new SERT) and TTS kit will reprogram the ECU, overwriting whatever is in there now regardless. The TTS kit can archive whatever is in there now in case you want to go back to it later. You need a computer or laptop to use either of these.

The TMax just replaces the whole ECU so its not an issue.

I'd recommend looking at the TTS kit as you are not as much married to HD parts and is a bit better tool for a little less money. If the bike has O2 sensors, you can dial it in yourself, otherwise pick a cal file close to the bike, load it up and go.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Micah
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ColdCase
If you wanted to use a PCV or other add on module, you'd want to have the bike reloaded with the stock MAP as these work based off of a known map.

Both the SESPT (new SERT) and TTS kit will reprogram the ECU, overwriting whatever is in there now regardless. The TTS kit can archive whatever is in there now in case you want to go back to it later. You need a computer or laptop to use either of these.

The TMax just replaces the whole ECU so its not an issue.

I'd recommend looking at the TTS kit as you are not as much married to HD parts and is a bit better tool for a little less money. If the bike has O2 sensors, you can dial it in yourself, otherwise pick a cal file close to the bike, load it up and go.
Man thats awesome I will look into TTS for sure. Any advice on where to buy and/or part number for an 06 softail standard EFI?

Old 06-13-2010, 09:15 PM
RA51
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your bike is running fine an not plan on making any major changes to the motor , just ride it an enjoy it. Your bike does not have the O2 sensors like the 07 an newer. So buying a TTS or SESPT to try an tune with yourself can get tricky without the O2 sensors. You would need to add O2 sensors an exhaust fitted for them, wire the O2's to the ecm. Then use the TTS or SESPT to tune the closed loop portion of the map. Best just to have bike dyno tuned an a good tuner installed.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Micah
5th Gear

When I bought it it had the recalled injectors in it and it ran like crap. When they put the new ones in it they told me it needs a tune but they cannot do anything without the race tuner as it had been previously tuned.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Bummer you have to buy a new tuner, te SERT SEST or TTS Mastertune will all do you good. They could tell that your bike had been tuned with a SERT by the calibration ID in the ECM, they probably hooked it up to digital tech and read the ECM info.