Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPST experience and questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Gordon65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SEPST experience and questions

Got the software today, so I was finally able to play with my sepst. hooked it up fine (after a brief bout of 'where' lol). got it into recording mode, went on a 40 mile ride to record...come back, no data...

gotta push the button first...argh....

pushed the button, when on another ride, about 30 miles, come back no data..arrghII...

gotta push the button again to 'stop' recording.

ok, push button, ride 2 miles, push button.....got data!

now i re-do the original 40 mile ride to get lots of data.

able to load data, apply to original calibration selected. it suggested a few changes, not as many as i would of thought. applied changes and reflashed to ecm.

my bike is an 09 ultra, with vanilla mods - SE fatshotz pipes, SE stage 1 ac.

questions:

how many data runs is recommended?

why for the last flash, do I have to turn off the 'enable smart turn reflash' ? (to do another data collection then i need to reflash with that turned on)

Do I need to mess with the AFR table? my goal is a cooler running engine, with some performance gains.

thanks.

i'm halfway thru the training DVD, but needed a break, and figured I'd ask some questions here...

any other hints, tips or tricks with the sepst - lay 'em on me!

Old 06-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon65
questions:
how many data runs is recommended?
It depends on how close your combination of parts is to your base map. The smoother you are with the throttle the more data you will collect because when you move the throttle you activate the ae and de tables which knocks the bike out of closed loop which means you are not collecting data.

why for the last flash, do I have to turn off the 'enable smart turn reflash' ? (to do another data collection then i need to reflash with that turned on)
When you enable "smart" tune it adjusts some tables within your map. It will put most of the afr table into closed loop, turning on the o2 sensors to collect data. You do not want to ride your bike for long periods of time as this is far to lean for some areas.

Do I need to mess with the AFR table? my goal is a cooler running engine, with some performance gains.
The only thing I will do with the afr table is make sure it is a tad richer in the 90 and 100 map columns then what gives me maximum power. Just a little safety factor. I will also use the 20 map column to eliminate certain kinds of decel popping. Just having your ve tables properly calibrated will help to have a cooler running engine, sometimes as much as 20 degrees.

any other hints, tips or tricks with the sepst - lay 'em on me!
Finish watching the dvd, read the manual, read the TTS manual, even pick up a book or two on automotive books on efi (Greg Banish has a couple). Believe it or not even though we are tuning old tractor engines the Delphi ecm is as good as the top efi control systems in the automotive world.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Gordon65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the reply!

when you say 'tad richer', what value do you use?

Old 06-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 233 Posts

Depending on the build, down to 13.0 - 13.2.