Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ignition timing

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:37 PM
hands for horse power
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition timing

Have a 2010 ultra bub 7 exh., pcv/auto tune, tw6 cams. Why doen't anybody write threads on timing set up or maybe i can't find it. Does anybody have a timing numbers for this set up. I changed the timing and the bike realy run much faster. Didn't dyno yet but, ran my friends 08 96ci street glide and before timing change we were side by side. After ajusting timing 5 deg. more, ran again and beat him by 4 bike lenghts and pulling away. question is how much timing can I go? Fuels at 13.2 afr.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by hands for horse power
Have a 2010 ultra...Fuels at 13.2 afr.
AFR on a 2010?

Old 06-10-2010, 08:23 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

a dyno tune would be best. you could get by with advancing until you get detonation. not many posts about timing. it seems people are convinced autotune means no dyno required. haha!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:01 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are timing threads on more technical forums, but to do timing right you really need to know what you are doing and that takes some experience. There is no tool that automates timing setup, they give raw data and its up to the user to interpret.

Typical autotuner users don't bother with the effort because, well I think they expect everything to be automated.

You can brute force it and simply advance timing in each cell or area until your data recording indicates detonation sensors are going off and then back off 3 degrees or so, but there are just so many aspects of timing and variables that, if you want to it right and safely, you need a pretty thorough understanding of cause and effect and how exactly the ECU is dealing with its calibration constants and the algorithm reacts.

It may be easier to do timing with something like the TTS tool, so you will see more discussion in those forums and some of the TMax specific forums, but their concepts are probably transferable. The PCV-autotune is relatively new so perhaps there is not as much of a support base yet.

The recommendation seems to be that setting the timing according to the canned profile associated with the cam and then tuning AFR is good enough for the better than average street rider. Leave tinkering with timing to a pro.

Remember that if the ECU senses a detonation event, its going to yank at least 5 degrees of timing out immediately and for some time, to save the motor. So you end up hurting your performance, if you try to cut it too close and then get a tank with less octane. Some have been known to live dangerously and turn off the detonation (ION) sensor, and then drive by ear.

Last edited by ColdCase; 06-10-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:53 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need an indicator on the dash that would show when the ECU is detecting detonation. Then it might be possible to put some advance in
safely.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:54 PM
hands for horse power
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the type that likes to get all the power out of the engine as i can, and yes without detonation. I just took the cell that were in Jammie's map and advanced the cells from their. The bike ran much better, so I don't feel thats it's unsafe to do as long as your not over doing it. Dyno tuning is great as long as you can find the good tech to spend the time. PCV and auto tune is really a neet tool to have. I'll continue to play an see what happens when I dyno it.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:08 AM
dcfatboy
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default LCD Display

Originally Posted by hornhonker
We need an indicator on the dash that would show when the ECU is detecting detonation. Then it might be possible to put some advance in
safely.
The LCD Display for the PCV allows this.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:44 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dcfatboy
The LCD Display for the PCV allows this.
I have a borrowed LCD-200 on my bike now and although it can provide lots of information options, map options, and data logging I haven't run across this feature yet. Where is it? It does show the amount of advance at any given point in RPM and TP, but AFAIK it won't show when the ECU is detecting detonation.

OTOH, you could load multiple maps with varying levels of advance and switch between them on the fly to audibly determine detonation. Is this what you mean?

Last edited by iclick; 06-12-2010 at 05:18 PM.