Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Lose all electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 08:36 PM
mark2flhtci
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lose all electrical power

I have an 03 Ultra, and starting 5 mo after purchase till today, I have experienced loss of all power. It usually comes back on within a couple of min, restart and go on till the next time. It sometimes won't happen for 2-4 mo, or like this summer up to 2 times a day. The dealer has worked on this problem about 6 times. The last time a month ago, and it died on me again today. They have changed the main breaker 2-3 times, sensors, and relays.

Anybody else have or had this problem?

Old 08-20-2006, 09:08 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Lose all electrical power

Just a hunch, but Harley's have a kill switch that senses when the bike is dropped. This tilt switch does exactly what you're talking about - kills the power for a couple of minutes. Perhaps yours is too sensitive or malfunctioning.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:14 PM
delphituner
Stage IV

does it do it any certain time? you could have a broken wire try turning the handlebars full left lock and full right lock while sitting and see if it turns the bike off

Old 08-20-2006, 10:57 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the bike under the breaker recall? My friend's shop has seen this. They wound up replacing the connector that attaches to the citcuit breaker because it had a bad connection and would get hery hot - then trip the breaker.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 AM
res2cue
Stage III

ORIGINAL: One_Screamin_Eagle

Was the bike under the breaker recall? My friend's shop has seen this. They wound up replacing the connector that attaches to the citcuit breaker because it had a bad connection and would get hery hot - then trip the breaker.
My 03 FLHTCI started doing this also. Mine was involved in the C/B recall and was replaced. Can you explain more regaring which connector? The bike has only done this in very hot conditions ambient temps over 90degrees and in stop and push traffic. Lose all power till C/B resets.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:39 PM
mark2flhtci
Intermediate

The last time the bike quit, it was idleing for less than 10 min after sitting overnight, ambient temp was about 70-75 deg. It has died going straight down the road at 55-60mph. Most of the time it has quit after idleing at a stop light then accerlerating leaving the light, then die in 1st gear or after shifting to 2nd. The main breaker, which was on recall, has been replaced twice, cam positioning sensor, ignition sensor, and relays. Voltage regulater twice, starter/kill switch once. Is going back into shop this Fri after talking to Harley customer servive.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:51 PM
mark2flhtci
Intermediate

I'm not sure what the c/b is. You mean the main breaker?

Old 08-30-2006, 12:52 AM
dleonard
Stage I

My 99 Ultra has had similar problem recently. All power shuts down but it is usually at highway speeds on hot (Texas hot) days. Makes for a very scary situation especially when surrounded by big trucks. Local dealer has even put it on dyno for over an hour at highway speeds but can't find anything.
I saw that someone suggested the sensor that shuts down bike when it is laid over---did your HD mech check that?
I'm looking for answers too. This has made for a scary summer!

Old 08-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Danester
Road Master

faulty battery terminal conection?

Old 09-01-2006, 02:14 PM
2k3hog
Cruiser

When this happened to me for the "humpteenth" time while in Pensicola, Fl, two Harley Tech explained it this way. Why does no one with an 04, 05, or 06 model complain about this problem? Only 03 and earlier models have this complete electrical shutdown mystery. What do the newer models have that we don't? One thing they don't have is a main circuit breaker. They do have a 40 amp maxi fuse located in the side panel away from all the heat. That was Harley's fix to this problem, but Harley will not do a recall to replace all the circuit breakers with the 40 amp maxi fuse.

I by-passed my 50 amp circuit breaker by buying all the parts for the 40 amp maxi fuse set up from an 04 Ultra Classic. I put the set up together and installed it in one of the side panels and have not had another problem with the electrical shutdown.

As you can see from the below picture, mine is an 03 Ultra Classic.