Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEST question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Gordon65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SEST question

If someone could verify (or tell me i'm wrong) my understanding, i'd appreciate it.

The SEST is NOT a plug and play option? ie - one must do some dyno runs to have it functional?

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:57 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With any SERT/SEST you can load up a canned map and ride. Its only when you want to dial it in more precisely that you need the dyno and some EFI knowledge.

If you are talking about the newer SEST/SESPT, it has a smart tune feature/option that gets you an OK tune without need for dyno time. You basically ride on the street and record data that characterizes your engine. Then the software makes up a map for you.

The TTS kit works better.

Last edited by ColdCase; 06-05-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Gordon65
Tourer

where does one get a canned map?

Old 06-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Canned maps are included with the SEST software. The maps list engine match ups with HD/SE components only.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Gordon65
Tourer

currenlty i am running the SE Fatshotz pipes, and a stage 1 air cleaner from fuel moto - (same as a harley one?). bike is an 09 ultra.

next year i do plan on adding 255 cams, but that's a year away..

If i am understanding correctly, i could use a base map from the super tuner, and be fine? and then let the tuner software 'tweak' it?

is this route advisable for a non-wrench? i just want to install something, and forget about it.

i did stop in at the dealers this morning, and of course they told me that dyno time is necessary. I am not interested in getting an ultimate tune, just one that's pretty close.

the reason i am at this point:
I did have a power commander V, and this spring an odd electrical thing started happening. before the engine was started, the fuel pump would cycle when the front brake was squeezed. over, and over, with every squeeze of the lever. taking the pcv off, the problem went away. i took the bike to jamie, at fuelmoto, and he was baffled. new PCV's did it too. The really strange thing is that the same PC's would NOT do it on other bikes. I seem to have a short somewhere, that only manifests itself when a power commander is installed.

Of course the dealer isn't interested in finding it, as when you remove the aftermarket part, the problem goes away.

Jamie has offered me a new PCV or a refund. I am considering the SEST as with my discount, the price is close, and then the dealer cannot complain about an aftermarket part. But I do not want to dyno the bike, particularily at 70 bucks an hour.....

Old 06-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Gordon65
Tourer

another question - with the SEST, my understanding is that it reflashes the ecm? how does one go back to stock?

Old 06-05-2010, 09:29 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gordon65
another question - with the SEST, my understanding is that it reflashes the ecm? how does one go back to stock?
You take a stock map for your year/model and reflash the ECU. You cannot archive the current MAP with the SEST, you need another tool. Since stock maps are available, that doesn't make much difference.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:36 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gordon65
is this route advisable for a non-wrench? i just want to install something, and forget about it.
Its not much of a wrench thing, as long as you know how to run a computer and hook up USB devices. You will need a PC computer or laptop that has a free USB port near the bike.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

You might want to talk to Jamie about the TTS. He sells it also,seems to do about the same as the SEST.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:55 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Cold Case, how much dyno time does your dealer say it will take?
I have been quoted from 2 to 6 hours, and I know that is pure Bravo Sierra.
6 hours to remove side cover and install plug into serial data port, another into the dongle and then into computer, turn bike on and install canned map and then start tweaking via computer screen. I mean really.... Not to mention $1300.00 for parts and dyno time from the only HD Shop on Vancouver Island.
Ok, ok rant off.
The Service writer will ask you what mods are done to your ride, what your riding style is and do you ride two up, etc... others will chime in on what I have missed .This will give the dyno operator the info he/she will need to tune the bikes ecm to perform at its best.
Power Comander is another better option for the average rider and is somewhat more user friendly when you see how things are adjusted.
Your Mileage will vary as does mine from yours.
Rob

Quick Reply: SEST question