Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEST question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:01 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
I know in other forums they have had "discussions" over broadband and narrow band sensors. Never have I once heard of a stabilty issue with the TTS. Not the same for the SESPT. Not to bash your dealer but sounds like an excuse for not being able to tune with these devices.
So you are discounting the instability claimed in this thread? The SEPST has apparently solved their issues with the latest update. Have you tried the SEPST or are you simply repeating what you have heard? There is probably someone somewhere that has had an issue with every tuner made, So if the fact someone had an issue is the determining factor then they all suck. The TTS and the SEPST are very similar the main difference being the software for the TTS seems to be more user freindly and the TTS's ability to save the original map. Mastertune made the SERT and the original SEST and Harley decided to have someone else make their tuner. Mastertune took their technology and made their own tuner. Lots have been satisfied with it, as well as lots have been satisfied with the Harley tuner, the PC, and the TMax. Some will bash the SEPST simply because it is a Harley product. I find that intersting as they are using a Harley product, their bike. In the end it comes down to what suits you and what you can find it for money wise. If your bike runs good with decent mileage and no performance issues then I say it has worked no matter what brand.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by tgshoe
So you are discounting the instability claimed in this thread? The SEPST has apparently solved their issues with the latest update. Have you tried the SEPST or are you simply repeating what you have heard?
Absolutely discounting the instability claimed. I have used the Tmax, still use the SERT,TTS and SESPT. I have never had or heard of an issue with the TTS. I have on numerous times had the first two versions of SESPT lock up while collecting data and while trying to flash the map.

Some will bash the SEPST simply because it is a Harley product.
Not bashing, just giving my opinion on which tuner is better and why. If someone wants there bike tuned with the SESPT, I will tune with that. The recipe for a good tune is the same whether you are tuning with the SERT, TTS, Direct link or SESPT. Someone who can tune will be able to use any product. It's just for me the TTS has more tables to adjust and is just so much more user friendly. I believe it also cost's less.

In the end it comes down to what suits you and what you can find it for money wise. If your bike runs good with decent mileage and no performance issues then I say it has worked no matter what brand.
No argument from me on that.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:50 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyshog
not quite true.the disagreement was one said tts was unstable and the other said it wasnt. dealer here wont tune tts because of to many ecm crashes,said they where a pita and wont touch the new sepst for tuneability.
First I've heard of any stability problems with TTS, and I've been following posts for over a year now. I've heard of SEST tanking ECUs as well as nolans galore but not by TTS, perhaps there is some confusion.

You will see many post lately like these in the non sponsored forums:

“I work at a dealer and use all the tuning products mentioned. PCIII/V/SESPT/TMax/TTS. If your local Tuner says he "cant" tune with TTS but can tune with SESPT, find another tuner. If you are competent in SEPST or old style SERT and claim you "cant" tune a TTS, the fact is this individual is probably not competent in any of the tuning products. Any Tuner in this industry worth his salt knows about TTS Mastertune. And, at least amongst tuners who keep themselves up to date and educated about the latest products, there is no debate about the best product and support. TTS wins hands down. SESPT is still suffering from stability issues and "smart tune" does not work as advertised.”

I dunno, seems to be many of these kinds of post when discussing the best products, but I think just about any named brand system can be made to work good enough to ride with miles of smiles.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:38 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be great if these discussions could really be informative rather than always degenerating into arguments about which is superior, the TTS or SESTP.

I have been using the SEST for a while on several different PCs, Currently Windows 7, prior Vista, and XP. My experience is that I've never had a crash with the software since I've been using it.

To utilize a canned map you select one that is close to your setup, connect the VCI and flash the ECM. This is not really what I'd call a tune. I only adjusts your VE tables from the stock configuration to a configuration close to your setup. Utilizing Smart Tune further refines the VE tables to your setup based on data gathered during data collection runs. Still not what I'd call a tune, but the first step.

Can a dealer legally modify the configuration on a street bike so that it is no longer EPA compliant? If not, than a dealer cannot do a performance tune, unless they get around it somehow by getting the customer to sign a waiver saying the tuning is for track use only. Independent tuners likely don't operate under these constraints.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 06-07-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Gordon65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
It would be great if these discussions could really be informative rather than always degenerating into arguments about which is superior, the TTS or SESTP.

I have been using the SEST for a while on several different PCs, Currently Windows 7, prior Vista, and XP. My experience is that I've never had a crash with the software since I've been using it.

To utilize a canned map you select one that is close to your setup, connect the VCI and flash the ECM. This is not really what I'd call a tune. I only adjusts your VE tables from the stock configuration to a configuration close to your setup. Utilizing Smart Tune further refines the VE tables to your setup based on data gathered during data collection runs. Still not what I'd call a tune, but the first step.

Can a dealer legally modify the configuration on a street bike so that it is no longer EPA compliant? If not, than a dealer cannot do a performance tune, unless they get around it somehow by getting the customer to sign a waiver saying the tuning is for track use only. Independent tuners likely don't operate under these constraints.

i bought the sepst yesterday. the dealer was out of the software, so i have to wait a few more days before i get to play with it....

these data collection runs - can you tell me more about them? where is the data stored?

thanks

Old 06-07-2010, 11:48 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon65
i bought the sepst yesterday. the dealer was out of the software, so i have to wait a few more days before i get to play with it....

these data collection runs - can you tell me more about them? where is the data stored?

thanks
The following is an overvue, not a comprehensive step by step.

Connect the VCI to the bike w/the cable and attach to a safe place w/the included velcroe straps. Connect the laptop, open the software. When you put the VCI in data collection mode check the box saying this is for smart tuning and click the button to activate the VCI.

I always have to fumble my way through every time cause CRS. The light on the VCI will either flash or be on steady signifying it's ready. Disconnect the PC. When you are ready to start collecting data, press the red button on the VCI, the light will now either flash or be steady, the opposite of what it was.

I put a piece of white tape around the throttle grip and put a mark next to some index point on the throttle housing, then I opened it 100% (this is all done w/the engine/ignition off) and made a mark on the tape next to the index point. Now I split the difference and made marks at 25%, 50%, and 75%.

Once I started riding to collect data I tried to ride under various loads, gears, speeds, etc. at various throttle positions. Even cruising on the interstate.

About fifteen minutes of data is stored in the VCI.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:29 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Also try to hold your throttle positions steady. Every time the throttle moves you activate your ae and de tables. This takes the bike out of closed loop which means you are not collecting data. You will not collect data above 80 kpa which equates to around 60 % throttle in the higher rpms. Also be aware of engine temps as you are using an afr of 14.6+ to collect data which is much leaner in a lot of areas than you would nomally ride your bike in when not collecting data.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:38 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The new VCI's apparently have more r.a.m. as they can load an hours worth of data.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with the SEST, I took the bike in at 9:00AM and i rode away about 2:00 pm,he made about 5 or 6 dyno runs in that time..he handed me my SEST and i left,Bike runs great, i cant ask for more.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:56 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could ask for the software and a copy of the map source file in case you want to tinker with it ....

Quick Reply: SEST question