Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEST question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:12 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon65
If someone could verify (or tell me i'm wrong) my understanding, i'd appreciate it.

The SEST is NOT a plug and play option? ie - one must do some dyno runs to have it functional?

Thanks.
It is "plug and play" in the respect you do not need a dyno to dial your bike in.
It takes some patience to muddle through the documentation and figure out how it actually works, but it is not bad once through it and you look back.
Bundled in the software is canned maps for bikes, by years with SE air cleaner and "race exhaust" (or cams and what not if needed). It will give the ECM acheivable targets. There is a PDF file called "calibration description" which lists included maps (files) bundled in the software. It takes into account a fair amount of possible changes you could have done to your bike.
This is a very good starting point. The smart tune app takes recorded data (from the dongle (VCI) and "fine tunes" it to your specific bike, riding style, etc.... and dials it in.

Last edited by VTL nut; 06-06-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:41 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

Here is a screen shot of my first pass with the VCI attached.
This is one real time shot of about 6000 that were taken on that run, and the more data one collects, the finer the "tweak" we can get.

Attached Thumbnails SEST question-1st-pass.jpg  
Old 06-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna105
You might want to talk to Jamie about the TTS. He sells it also,seems to do about the same as the SEST.
I believe they are no longer authorized to sell the TTS.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:35 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CndUltra95
Cold Case, how much dyno time does your dealer say it will take?
Power Comander is another better option for the average rider and is somewhat more user friendly when you see how things are adjusted.
I dunno about the dyno time, never asked them. I used the TTS kit to dial the bike in, getting rid of surges and decel pop in the process.

I'm not sure that the PITA Power Commander install is so user friendly, but it is a simpler device so it may seem to be easier to use. If you want to tweak the PC it can get complicated in a hurry. Dyno operators usually have dynojet's step by step software tuning tool that saves them some time.

Last edited by ColdCase; 06-06-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:38 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
I believe they are no longer authorized to sell the TTS.
Forum sponsor Phat and others offer the TTS tuning kit for about $360 plus a $30 or $60 cable.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:30 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

Here is the "stage 1" file as it comes bundled in the SEPST software.
This will provide new tables for "enhanced breating" via pipes and air cleaner.
From here gather data, import it into the program, then let the smart tune app do its job, and recommend new settings.

Attached Thumbnails SEST question-stage-1-file.jpg  

Last edited by VTL nut; 06-06-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyshog
fuelmoto wont sell tts anymore,unstable software problem.
Not quite true. TTS software is stable. It is because of a disagreement between two people.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon65
If someone could verify (or tell me i'm wrong) my understanding, i'd appreciate it.

The SEST is NOT a plug and play option? ie - one must do some dyno runs to have it functional?

Thanks.
You do NOT have to do dyno runs with the SEST if you can find a canned map supplied with the unit that comes reasonably close to your setup. There's a lot of testing that went into these maps by people who really know what they're doing. As a result, the canned maps are very good and fit in with all SE mods and most 3rd party ones. But, if you're going to be racing on the track and made radical changes? Sure, you'll need a dyno.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by CndUltra95
Cold Case, how much dyno time does your dealer say it will take?
I have been quoted from 2 to 6 hours, and I know that is pure Bravo Sierra.
6 hours to remove side cover and install plug into serial data port, another into the dongle and then into computer, turn bike on and install canned map and then start tweaking via computer screen. I mean really.... Not to mention $1300.00 for parts and dyno time from the only HD Shop on Vancouver Island.
Ok, ok rant off.
The Service writer will ask you what mods are done to your ride, what your riding style is and do you ride two up, etc... others will chime in on what I have missed .This will give the dyno operator the info he/she will need to tune the bikes ecm to perform at its best.
Power Comander is another better option for the average rider and is somewhat more user friendly when you see how things are adjusted.
Your Mileage will vary as does mine from yours.
Rob
It will take at least 5-6 hours to properly tune your bike. I will spend 8-10 hrs on some until I am happy. I charge a flat rate to tune. Trust me if they quote you 2 hrs. it's a waste. It takes all of 5 minutes to load the base map. The rest of the time is spent calibrating the ve and timing tables, adjusting hot and cold starts and addressing things like decel pop. I do not need to know your riding style or if you ride two up. That's determined by the combination of parts. A good tune will optimize the power and efficiency of the parts. A Power Commander may be an option for some, but change your cams, bump your compression and I prefer to use a tuning device that allows me to choose a base map based on the combination. With the newer TBW TTS has addressed some limitations encoded in the ecm. This kind of tuning adjustments are not available in the add on tuning devices. I prefer the TTS over the SESPT not only because it is more capable but it is also a much more user friendly program.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by barneyshog
not quite true.the disagreement was one said tts was unstable and the other said it wasnt. dealer here wont tune tts because of to many ecm crashes,said they where a pita and wont touch the new sepst for tuneability.
I know in other forums they have had "discussions" over broadband and narrow band sensors. Never have I once heard of a stabilty issue with the TTS. Not the same for the SESPT. Not to bash your dealer but sounds like an excuse for not being able to tune with these devices.

Quick Reply: SEST question