Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PC-V with Autotune question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 PM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Did you turn on the auto tune? It comes turned off

Old 06-03-2010, 11:49 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, at first glance that is a really rich target AFR map. I suspect your gas milage is quite low but then you should also be running real cool.

In contrast have a look at my current AFR settings.

Attached Thumbnails PC-V with Autotune question-airfuelratiotargets.jpg  

Last edited by hornhonker; 06-03-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:15 AM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hornhonker
Well, at first glance that is a really rich target AFR map. I suspect your gas milage is quite low but then you should also be running real cool.

Yor tble looks good. I did give 0 throttle position a 13.2 AFR to cool down ideling in traffic. How much adv are you running?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:40 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

How many trims have you done ? It may take a few to dial it in assuming
your map is correct to start with.
You don't need to "dial it in" by accepting trims. AT will work as well with trims, even large ones, as it will after accepting trims.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:44 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by autotech01
09 fatbob with this set up installed, i am still getting some decel popping.
You should be able to get rid of decel popping by adjusting the values at 0% TP. Try using -10, and if that doesn't work try 5, then 10 at 2000rpms and above @ 0% TP. Make these adjustments in both Fuel Adj. tables.

...when i ride in town seems to still get hot after awhile but starts to idle rough and sounds like it wants to die when taking off from a stop...
You are likely going into EITMS (heat management) mode, and that's normal in stop-and-go situations, especially in hot weather. You'll just have to live with it or turn off the function. Check your owner's manual on how to do that.

Last edited by iclick; 06-05-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:53 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by autotech01
After the first 100 miles i accepted rode 350 miles accepted again and then one more time after 500 miles. the trim table numbers are very small. But then again even the smallest can make a difference. As far as using the correct map i used the one closest to my set up the downloadable map was for the longshots but i have the short shots.
Again, there is no need to accept trims once or 10 times, as AT will work as well regardless of the number of times you do it. You can start with any map that will allow you to start the bike and run smoothly, even one that isn't close to ideal. It takes the trim values and subtracts them from the Fuel Adj. table values, just like it does after you accept trims. So, if your base map has a 10 and the trim table a -5 in a given cell you will be getting 5% more fuel in that cell. If you accept trims you will then have a 5 in the base map (Fuel Adj. table) and trim of 0, and that yields a value of 5, which is the same if you hadn't accepted trims at all.

The bottom line is that accepting trims doesn't have a bearing on the way AT operates in real time.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:59 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by 62hdbiker
Yor tble looks good. I did give 0 throttle position a 13.2 AFR to cool down ideling in traffic. How much adv are you running?
DJ doesn't recommend using any AFR values in the 0% column because of possible reversion problems. If you are using 14.2 and aren't seeing any large numbers either positive or negative, you're probably okay, but keep an eye on them.

I adjusted my idle AFR by watching the AFR gauges in the software while the bike was idling. You can select 750 and 1000 rpms, hit pg-up or pg-down to change the values, then hit the Insert key to send the values to the PCV. You can do this very quickly. Watch the values change and when you get to 14.2 (or thereabouts), stop. You'll have to do this for both tables (Cyl. 1 and 2).

Old 06-04-2010, 08:06 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Running 14.0 is fairly rich too, and mileage won't be ideal there either. If anyone is interested, the PCV has a map-switch feature that is very effective for getting maximum mileage yet allow you to toggle to a rich map when the going gets hot, like in summer traffic. I did a write-up on this here.

If you go as lean as I've gone (see write-up), you will be in stock territory, but installing an oil cooler helps greatly and I have no heat problems here.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ColdCase
I dunno if the PC autotune disables the "parade mode"
It doesn't disable EITMS or any other function of the ECU.

I dunno why the autotune is making the bike run hotter than the stock, unless there is something amiss. If you bought the PCV from Jamie, give him a call.
This is good advise.