Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Strange electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010 | 05:07 PM
neverdown
|
Advanced
Default Strange electrical problem

I have a softail custom, self built. Everything worked fine the last time I rode, then put it up for the winter. Today, put in a charged battery. Turn the key, nothing. Now, the bike is leaning to the left, on the kickstand. As I turn the forks to the right, the lights come on.
When I stand the bike upright, lights go out, stay out as I lean the bike again. Turn the forks, lights on. There is no wiring through the bars, no switches on the bars. I checked for shorts in the headlight and the wiring back to the battery. Nothing I can find. Another thing....I have a start push button on the solenoid, which will engage and try to crank, even with key in off position.
I had the tank off this winter and just put it on...thought maybe I damaged a wire, cant find anything.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Old 05-21-2010 | 01:16 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

sounds like the head light might be trieng to ground throught the neck when you turn the bars. double check the ground on the light. As a mechanic usualy electrical issues 90% are ground issues. Maby isolate the ground circut on the light and use a jumper wire to the battery and see if your light issue goes away. funny things can happen when a circut is trieng to find a ground.

Old 05-21-2010 | 05:30 AM
neverdown
|
Advanced
Default Re: wiring

Makes sense...thanks!