Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEST Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:55 PM
harry.b
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEST Question

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a HQ113ST build. The ONLY thing thats stopping me from pulling the heads off and sending them out is that right now I have a PCIII. It is my understanding that the PCIII isn't going to cut it on this build so I called the local harley shop and they tune with SEST. There is no TTS tuner in town. Bottom line is that I need a starter map for the 113. does a starter map close to this build come in the kit, or do I have to order a separate disc? I'm new to SEST so any info will be appreciated.

Harry

Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

How far are you from http://www.thedynodifference.com/. He is familiar with tuning HQ's builds. The SESPT will have a base map to start with but nothing close enough to ride. Same with TTS. If you haven't bought the SESPT yet I would get the TTS. Ed can tune with either. The HQ's builds need to have the timing tables worked with whatever tuning device you use.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:59 PM
harry.b
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lonewolf,
thanks for the advice. I didn't buy the SEPST yet. I am about 4 1/2 hours from north dallas but it would be worth it to get a good tune. Plus, I have some friends that live nearby. I'll give Ed a call and ask him about it.

harry

Old 05-21-2010, 06:40 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by harry.b
<<Snip>> I called the local harley shop and they tune with SEST. There is no TTS tuner in town. Bottom line is that I need a starter map for the 113. does a starter map close to this build come in the kit, or do I have to order a separate disc? I'm new to SEST so any info will be appreciated.

Harry
Harry... Before there was a SEST there was the SERT. The TTS is the SERT on steroids so I don't get it. Your HD guy wants to sell you a SEST because he makes more money on you?

The TTS is will allow more modifications than the SEST and is cheaper so don't use the dealer to dyno, take it to an indy shop with a good reputation. Doesn't matter if you have to trailer 500 miles or more it will be well worth it.

I don't want to stand on a soap box but... If you want 100% out of that 113, get the TTS.

Cheers

-wiz

Old 05-21-2010, 08:24 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Harry... Before there was a SEST there was the SERT. The TTS is the SERT on steroids so I don't get it. Your HD guy wants to sell you a SEST because he makes more money on you?

The TTS is will allow more modifications than the SEST and is cheaper so don't use the dealer to dyno, take it to an indy shop with a good reputation. Doesn't matter if you have to trailer 500 miles or more it will be well worth it.

I don't want to stand on a soap box but... If you want 100% out of that 113, get the TTS.

Cheers

-wiz
The HD guy wants to sell the SEST likely becuase that is what they are trained and experienced using.

Please list the modifications that the TTS allows that the SEST does not. The only differences I noted from their web site were;

•Save and restore the original factory calibration
•Optional multi-vehicle interface

Cost wise;

2000000 MasterTune Single Program (1Bike) $425.00
32109-08A SCREAMIN’ EAGLE PRO SUPER TUNER $459.95

I got mine from Zannotti's for significantly less than $400.00 USD.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
The HD guy wants to sell the SEST likely becuase that is what they are trained and experienced using.

Please list the modifications that the TTS allows that the SEST does not. The only differences I noted from their web site were;

•Save and restore the original factory calibration
•Optional multi-vehicle interface

Cost wise;

2000000 MasterTune Single Program (1Bike) $425.00
32109-08A SCREAMIN’ EAGLE PRO SUPER TUNER $459.95

I got mine from Zannotti's for significantly less than $400.00 USD.
That was my point.. they were trained on the SERT first which is the TTS but with more features and the programming is almost identical. They were trained on the SEST later.

Cost wise... yes, you can get the TTS under 400 from several locations, around 385.00

A few differences in the SEST and TTS.

1. SEST = BS software (Nolan errors abound)
2. TTS = experienced software that doesn't crash.
3. SEST = SmartTune a late knock off of the VTune program
4. TTS = VTune program that is easier and more accurate. Tune without a Dyno.
5. TTS = PE Mode, SEST doesn't have it. (like a turbo kick in the pants when you need it)
6. TTS = Power Management is reset by TTS, SEST will not reset it. (SEST won't allow throttle blade to open 100% and reduces rev limit depending on gear selection)
7. TTS = Primary Ratio calculator and reset ability with the TTS, SEST does not. (speedo calibration)
8. TTS = PE Fuel Ratio Tables, SEST doesn't have it
9. TTS = PE Spark Tables, SEST doesn't have it
10. TTS = Spark Temperature Correction Tables, SEST doesn't have it
11. TTS = Closed Throttle Spark Tables, SEST doesn't have it
12. TTS = Adaptive Knock Retard Tables, SEST doesn't have it

Anyway... just to hit the high spots. Hope this helps

-wiz

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 05-21-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

Don't forget being able to have control of your vtuning map, being able to view your vtune histogram and the night and day difference in the way you can view your data. It also does not fill your screen. I have to use 2 computers to tune with the SESPT and with the TTS I can do it all with one, all on one monitor.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:52 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

1. SEST = BS software (Nolan errors abound)
I've never had any crashes at all since I've been using the SEST and I have been using it on XP, Vista, and now WIndows 7. Never seen a "Nolan error". What is that?

2. TTS = experienced software that doesn't crash.
See my previous remarks. 1 and 2 seem to be the same criticisms.

3. SEST = SmartTune a late knock off of the VTune program.
Not sure about this, I thought both were inspired by MyTune. At any rate how is this a criticism of the SEST. Almost like saying Ford had the assmebly line before Chevy.

4. TTS = VTune program that is easier and more accurate. Tune without a Dyno.
Smart Tune and VTune both do the same thing as far as I understand. Run the bike on the road or dyno and collect data. Smart Tune/VTune utilize collected data to suggest corrections to the VE Tables.

Smart Tune and VTune likely use the same or very similar algorythms to analyze the collected data. One is likely as accurate as the other.

I found Smart Tune to be very easy to use, I have no experience with VTune

5. TTS = PE Mode, SEST doesn't have it. (like a turbo kick in the pants when you need it).
I am not sure what this PE Mode is, other than some sort of turbo kick in the pants when you need it. Not a very technical description of this function.

I suppose PE is Power Enrichment. Does this allow accelaration enrichment like an accelaration pump on a carburator? I can most certainly make this adjust w/my SEST.

6. TTS = Power Management is reset by TTS, SEST will not reset it. (SEST won't allow throttle blade to open 100% and reduces rev limit depending on gear selection).
I have set my rev limit to 6k and I can hit this in most gears. It is a little fast in 5th and 6th though. I don't see the rev limiter kicking in at different rpms in different gears.

Not sure I believe that about the limit on the throttle opening.

7. TTS = Primary Ratio calculator and reset ability with the TTS, SEST does not. (speedo calibration).
I'll have to check this, Seems odd that an HD product could not calibrate the speedometer but a third party item could. However HD may have a seperate tool for their techs since they would likely prefer you pay for a service call for this kind of thing.

8. TTS = PE Fuel Ratio Tables, SEST doesn't have it.
Is this that kick in the pants thing again? Listing something twice doesn't make it count a second time.

9. TTS = PE Spark Tables, SEST doesn't have it.
I can adjust front and rear cylinders spark advance independently. I don't see someting called PE Spark Tables.

10. TTS = Spark Temperature Correction Tables, SEST doesn't have it.
You might be correct here, I don't see it.

11. TTS = Closed Throttle Spark Tables, SEST doesn't have it.
Don't see this either.

12. TTS = Adaptive Knock Retard Tables, SEST doesn't have it.
Yeah it does. Called Knock Control.

Anyway... just to hit the high spots. Hope this helps

-wiz
It doesn't really help that much. You really weren't able to show me that the TTS was so superior to the SEST. At best possibly 3 or 4 differences but I'm no expert w/the SEST so these features may be there and I don't where to find them.

BTW, while I was looking at the SEST Software it downloaded and installed an update that included some new maps.

Tuning Software can only access existing areas in the ECM, it cannot add a feature that isn't in the ECM. It might be that TTS may allow more control or greater access to an existing feature. I have no experience with TTS and I am by no means an expert w/the SEST.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 05-21-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Enjoy your SEST but until you try the TTS and see for yourself I don't understand why you call this a criticism. Thought you wanted a list of the differences and I provided them.

I've tuned using both the Smart Tune and the VTune... you should try it and decide which one is better. Too many posts on this site as well as others (CVOHarley or Harley Tech Talk just to name a few) that applaud the TTS and say the SEST stops short.

Cheers

-wiz

Old 05-21-2010, 01:35 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Enjoy your SEST but until you try the TTS and see for yourself I don't understand why you call this a criticism. Thought you wanted a list of the differences and I provided them.

I've tuned using both the Smart Tune and the VTune... you should try it and decide which one is better. Too many posts on this site as well as others (CVOHarley or Harley Tech Talk just to name a few) that applaud the TTS and say the SEST stops short.

Cheers

-wiz
You really didn't list much in the way of differences.

Can you give me a more technical explaination of the "PE Mode"?

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 05-21-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: SEST Question