Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEST Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
Can you give me a more technical explaination of the "PE Mode"?
Will be glad to.

This is pretty much straight out of the manual. It's on their website for easy download so you can get it without having to purchase the software.

PE Mode = Power Enrichment Mode. It is active at higher RPM's and when the throttle position is greater than 95% or WOT.

The purpose is to operate the engine at maximum torque AFR and spark values for a short time, then adjust to more conservative values to reduce engine temps.

So, PE Mode is adjustable in three ways. It can give you preset AFR and Spark tables which you can adjust then set the RPM area in which the Power Enrichment Mode kicks in such as 3500 or 4000 or 4200 when you need a kick in the pants.

Also, I know both have Knock Control but the Adaptive Knock Control is not the same.

Here's the link to the manual. I think you would enjoy taking a look.

http://www.mastertune.net/files/Tuni...0Bulletins.pdf

Old 05-21-2010, 03:07 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
It doesn't really help that much. You really weren't able to show me that the TTS was so superior to the SEST. At best possibly 3 or 4 differences but I'm no expert w/the SEST so these features may be there and I don't where to find them.

BTW, while I was looking at the SEST Software it downloaded and installed an update that included some new maps.

Tuning Software can only access existing areas in the ECM, it cannot add a feature that isn't in the ECM. It might be that TTS may allow more control or greater access to an existing feature. I have no experience with TTS and I am by no means an expert w/the SEST.
I'm not going to help that much either. There are several tidbits over in the techtalk forum, don't know if anyone put an entire list together, there may be one over in the Ausie forum if you care to look. The SEST doesn't require you to ride with a laptop, but you only get 15 minutes of data. Many SEST users ride with data gathering laptops regardless.

To be convinced that there are significant differences for those that only want the best tune, there is a lot of reading and discussion there and some here about nuances, tweaks, features and support available only within the TTS. If you just want to ride well, not much of an issue besides why spend more money for an inferior product.

You will see many post like this recent one in the non sponsored forums:

“I use all the tuning products you mentioned. PCIII/V/SESPT/TMax/TTS Mastertune. If your local Tuner says he "cant" tune with TTS but can tune with SESPT. find another tuner. If you are competent in SEPST or old style SERT and claim you "cant" tune a TTS, the fact is this individual is probably not competent in any of the tuning products. Any Tuner in this industry worth his salt knows about TTS Mastertune. And, at least amongst tuners who keep themselves up to date and educated about the latest products, there is no debate about the best product and support. TTS wins hands down. SESPT is still suffering from stability issues and "smart tune" does not work as advertised.”

Doesn't help much I know, but you may need to work at the research to be convinced. No disrespect intended, but I wouldn't entirely trust one or two POVs or one forum or one magazine article. Within the last year I don't recall seeing a complete +/- list between current TTS and SEST offerings but there have been some specific discussions about one feature or another. And a lot of complaining about the current state of SEST product support, seems like no one at HD understands the product, only interested selling it and not spending money on support.

General consensus is if you already spent the cash on the SEST, doesn't make much sense to also spend the cash on the TTS... unless you are plagued by Nolans (the message you get when the laptop crashes), dissatisfied with support, or are **** about your tune.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:58 PM
harry.b
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked with Ed at thedynodifference and he can tune with all of them. I really can't take full advantage of TTS and SEPST because I don't have any 02 sensors and am not sure that I want to buy the conversion kit. I'm already spending too much money on this build, but will look into it anyway. Ed will be able to break in my bike on the dyno so that puts my mind at ease.

thanks for all the replies.

harry

Old 05-21-2010, 04:01 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
I'm not going to help that much either. There are several tidbits over in the techtalk forum, don't know if anyone put an entire list together, there may be one over in the Ausie forum if you care to look. The SEST doesn't require you to ride with a laptop, but you only get 15 minutes of data. Many SEST users ride with data gathering laptops regardless.

To be convinced that there are significant differences for those that only want the best tune, there is a lot of reading and discussion there and some here about nuances, tweaks, features and support available only within the TTS. If you just want to ride well, not much of an issue besides why spend more money for an inferior product.

You will see many post like this recent one in the non sponsored forums:

“I use all the tuning products you mentioned. PCIII/V/SESPT/TMax/TTS Mastertune. If your local Tuner says he "cant" tune with TTS but can tune with SESPT. find another tuner. If you are competent in SEPST or old style SERT and claim you "cant" tune a TTS, the fact is this individual is probably not competent in any of the tuning products. Any Tuner in this industry worth his salt knows about TTS Mastertune. And, at least amongst tuners who keep themselves up to date and educated about the latest products, there is no debate about the best product and support. TTS wins hands down. SESPT is still suffering from stability issues and "smart tune" does not work as advertised.”

Doesn't help much I know, but you may need to work at the research to be convinced. No disrespect intended, but I wouldn't entirely trust one or two POVs or one forum or one magazine article. Within the last year I don't recall seeing a complete +/- list between current TTS and SEST offerings but there have been some specific discussions about one feature or another. And a lot of complaining about the current state of SEST product support, seems like no one at HD understands the product, only interested selling it and not spending money on support.

General consensus is if you already spent the cash on the SEST, doesn't make much sense to also spend the cash on the TTS... unless you are plagued by Nolans (the message you get when the laptop crashes), dissatisfied with support, or are **** about your tune.
The point of my post to have a dialogue. Sometimes this area seems like an ad for TTS.

As I have noted, I have used the SEST on XP, Vista, and Windows 7. NEVER has it crashed on me. Never. I have also asked what the Nolan Error was. Never seen that either.

To say that "smart tune" does not work as advertised", how would you know this?? If I do a data run and allow Smart Tune to create new VE tables, then do the same run and allow VTune to create new VE tables my guess is there would be very little difference. If there were a significant difference due to some difference in the algorythms used, how do you know which VE tables are correct?

My experiences w/Smart Tune have been positive.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I too have good results with the Smart Tune but checking it later on a Twin Scan or on a Dyno machine there were more differences than one used with a TTS, not much though and both bikes ran good.

Some people, like myself, are just frustrated with some limitations of the SEST. I have several bikes/trikes and used several styles of tuners. I'm also being constantly hit up by locals asking me to tune for them. I enjoy it so why not.

The Nolan we speak of is an error message when the software crashes. I use two shop computers XP Pro and Win7. Nolan messages on both... is says something like "error 123545, Nolan must now close". I know there is an open source software named Nolan but I doubt that SEST uses open source software. Maybe the development guy was named Nolan, who knows... it's just irritating when it crashes and you get Nolan telling you it's toast. Take a few minutes and do a search for Nolan. I'm sure you will see many.

OK, I'm out of here... got one in to tune now. Ride safe everyone and have a good weekend.

-wiz

Old 05-22-2010, 03:41 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by harry.b
I talked with Ed at thedynodifference and he can tune with all of them. I really can't take full advantage of TTS and SEPST because I don't have any 02 sensors and am not sure that I want to buy the conversion kit. I'm already spending too much money on this build, but will look into it anyway.
Who sells a conversion kit to install the O2 sensors on an 06? I'm thinking of putting O2 sensors on my 06 and upgrading my SERT to the TTS.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:34 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by harry.b
I talked with Ed at thedynodifference and he can tune with all of them. I really can't take full advantage of TTS and SEPST because I don't have any 02 sensors and am not sure that I want to buy the conversion kit. I'm already spending too much money on this build, but will look into it anyway. Ed will be able to break in my bike on the dyno so that puts my mind at ease.

thanks for all the replies.

harry
Originally Posted by msocko3
Who sells a conversion kit to install the O2 sensors on an 06? I'm thinking of putting O2 sensors on my 06 and upgrading my SERT to the TTS.
Not sure about "conversion" kits, but it's relatively easy to add 02 bungs to header pipes on pre-'07 models to permit use of wideband 02 sensors for tuning/data logging instead of sniffers in the mufflers/header pipes.

Carl

Old 05-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

You can get the kit here http://www.docsperformancetuning.com/ If I remember right it's about $150 including the sensors. Being able to run MT7 files is nice.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:12 AM
harry.b
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed seemed sure that there were "conversion Kits" available. He said that they were available from TTS,but a quick look at the mastertune site didn't confirm this. When I get my bike tuned, I will have some time to pick his brain and will hopefully have an answer to this question. I'll post when I find out.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:11 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Not sure about "conversion" kits, but it's relatively easy to add 02 bungs to header pipes on pre-'07 models to permit use of wideband 02 sensors for tuning/data logging instead of sniffers in the mufflers/header pipes.

Carl
I'm running a Supertrapp Supermeg for an 07 so it already has the bungs.

Quick Reply: SEST Question