Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike Stalling After At Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:40 AM
riccardo_21
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Stalling After At Lights

Hi all,

Looking for a little info and possibly some help with a little problem I have.

After warming up the bike or going for a long ride etc, when comming to stand still or lights or round about, i go through the gears hold in the clutch the bike stalls or possibly cuts out.

Now I had this same issue a few months ago,thinking it wass the crappy weather we were having rain,snow etc.

Now I have checked the air filter that seems fine, checked the battery thats always perfect. I just want to know could it be the the air filter backing or possible fuel/air ratio or just the idle is out of wack.

My bike is an '06 Fatboy FLSTFI - fuel injected
was a 1450cc but the previous owner had the stage 2 done and Big Bore Kit and pushed it up to 1550cc.

I recently had the stage 1 done - including Vance & Hines longshots and a Kitech Performance fuel management system as well changing the air filter to a K&N performance filter.

Also I kept the stock air cover and plastic intake parts on as I ride every day and get in some awful weather on the motorways.

Oh one other thing I use the bike all year round spring,summer autumn and winter, apart from the 2-3 weeks of heavy snow at the beginning of the year, I ride all the time.

Now hes where you guys come in I have a few questions:

Not taking off the stock plastic back of the air filter - im guessing isnt letting the bike breath fully - yes or no, plus would this cause my main issue above stalling .

I have to stop and press the restart button, when i do this i then have to keep the revs up with the throttle or it stalls again.

Im taking it to the mechanics soon, as its still rideable, problem is im off to france and some euro rallies in the next few months so I wanna get this fixed asap.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Richard

Old 05-18-2010, 05:23 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

You do need to get rid of the stock plastic back of the air filter for it to breath properly. Do not worry about riding in rain. You could even run a totally naked air filter in the rain and it will not be a problem. After doing that, if you still have the problem, check for intake leaks.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:47 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by rh8234
Do not worry about riding in rain. You could even run a totally naked air filter in the rain and it will not be a problem. After doing that, if you still have the problem, check for intake leaks.
I can tell you if the rain is hard enough it will choke the engine. I have a SE Ventilator on my Trike and ride in all weather. Last august I got caught in a nasty downpour and enough water got through the rain cover that it was popping and banging up a storm each time I tried to accelerate. His problem could be a stuck or dirty IAC.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I've run bikes with velocity stacks (no air filter at all) in all kinds of downpours and never had any problems. I have the stock backing plate removed from all three of the bikes and ride frequently in very heavy rain and never had a problem. If it is raining hard enough to choke the engine - I doubt it would make much difference if you have the stock backing plate on it or not.

Last edited by rh8234; 05-18-2010 at 07:55 AM.