Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Main Thermal Breaker Question......

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Anezangl
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Main Thermal Breaker Question......

Some of you know that I have been battling an electrical anomaly/ghost for about forever on my ultra classic. Here's the rundown. Short and sweet, after riding many miles in different weather temps etc, day and night rides etc.....I have determined that the "spots" or "driving" lights are the reason the main pops and leaves me setting idle in the middle of a dark road, at night, for a few seconds every now and then. When I turn on my spots I might run for several minutes to hours depending on said conditions before she "pops" and shuts the scoot down. All I have to do at this point to finish the ride and or get home is turn the spots off, fire the scoot back up and go. All systems on the bike operate fine, there are no signs of shorts etc... its just when after a amount of time and a combination of air temperature and engine heat that the thermal main pops. I am satisfied that the problem is simply a harness/electrical system that can't handle the load it was built for. ( bad engineering). I believe this partially due to the recall Harley did on the bike replacing the factory 40 amp main with a 50 amp main.

Now for my question...........If I were to locate a second 40 or 50 amp thermal main right next to the current main and take half the harness leeds on the current main and put them on the second additional main would that effectively split/lower the load on each thermal breaker resulting in the ability to possible run my spots when I want all while not risking a overload to the harness and fire?