Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEST or TTS Mastertune

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:53 AM
ecvjohnny
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEST or TTS Mastertune

I bought an se pro super tuner with the intention to install it and have my bike dyno'd. I'm not real crazy about having it dyno'd though, with all the runs and loads put on the motor. Now I'm considering going the TTS route and tuning it myself. The cost of a dyno tune is about the same price as the TTS and I could probably sell the SEST since its unopened. Does this make sense to anyone? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:06 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fireredfxd
the smart tune cd is 29 dollars for the sest,does the so called self tune like tts. theses self tunes are only good for closed loop which is less than 50% throttle, worthless in my opinion. pcv autotune makes a complete map, not just half like the tts self tune. dont drink the tts koolaid,its just the old sert with a halfass self tune software added.
This is utter nonsense. Where the heck did you get all that bad information. PCV autotune is an expensive choice that uses old technology, inaccurate sensors, disabling the ECU advanced features and ending up with less performance than either a SEST or TTS. Sounds like someone has been drinking something, and its not coolaid. Somebody, I think, has been reading the marketing brochures and not talking to riders or reading between the lines. PCV auto tune and TMax systems do look good on paper, and work well enough. In practice on the street... eh, just not worth the install hassle and money, in my opinion and many others.

ecvjohnny the truth is the TTS tuning kit is better supported, and a better tuning kit than the SEST. The SEST smart tune will tune the bike without need of a dyno but it also does not do the things it advertises. SEST in general suffers from crashes and stability issues.

If you can get your money back on the SEST, you will be happier with the TTS tuning kit. If not, the SEST with smart tune will get you a satisfying ride without the need for a dyno. It is not a bad tune, will run very well, and you may not be able to tell much of a difference unless you have major modifications.

Last edited by ColdCase; 05-14-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:48 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Dyno tuning won't hurt your bike.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:53 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

the smart tune cd is 29 dollars for the sest,does the so called self tune like tts. theses self tunes are only good for closed loop which is less than 50% throttle, worthless in my opinion. pcv autotune makes a complete map, not just half like the tts self tune. dont drink the tts koolaid,its just the old sert with a halfass self tune software added.
This is to be sure, a load of crap.

I have the SEST. I have used the Smart Tune Feature and I am well satisfied w/the results.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:57 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

great,but i like to run past 1/4 throttle sometimes is why i use the pcv autotune,it tunes ALL throttle positions.
Even though narrow band sensors are used, the closed loop range is far greater than you suggest and will cover about 80% of where most people ride.

Smart tune uses data collected in the VCI to make corrections to the VE tables. Last time I did a run and put the VCI in data collection mode there was a suggestion that a table was loaded that enabled a broader range of data collection. I don't remember the exact details of the message, but that is how I understood it.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

explain how the so called self tuning tts tunes wot or any area thats not in closed loop??????.
That statement alone is evidence that you have no idea what you're talking about...but I guess most here already figured that out.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:33 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know what any of you are talking about. Could you explain so I will not be ignorant to the subject? With so much he said / she said it become convoluted, and the truth gets hidden.

Last edited by editbrain; 05-14-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by editbrain
I don't know what any of you are talking about. Could you explain so I will not be ignorant to the subject? With so much he said / she said it become convoluted, and the truth gets hidden.
What questions do you have?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:40 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Well here is the OP post
I bought an se pro super tuner with the intention to install it and have my bike dyno'd. I'm not real crazy about having it dyno'd though, with all the runs and loads put on the motor. Now I'm considering going the TTS route and tuning it myself. The cost of a dyno tune is about the same price as the TTS and I could probably sell the SEST since its unopened. Does this make sense to anyone? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Okay. So the input I think he is needing is explanation of the steps to self tune via the SEST. It can be done with the software. Correct?
Why doesn't someone who has done this before. Give a sticky/how to on what is needed, how to connect it, what to look for, what it does, and how to do it. All of this mess about it does or doesnt', and it works for me doesn't do anyone any good. If you are as smart to the subject, could you share it? That is all. I have shared information many times on subjects I am more familiar with. I am just ignorant to this subject. Some people learn from others, and others learn for themselves.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:13 PM
niczumbo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

firered,with 4 posts you sound like a troll OR have a vedentta against steve cole.just my worthless two cents

Quick Reply: SEST or TTS Mastertune