Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What are common causes for the starter to click then fire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:23 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What are common causes for the starter to click then fire?

Most of you know I just got my bike back together. Aftermarket starter (not sure) that is about a year and a half old. 9/66 starter gear setup installed. Air Gap right close to .125 as suggested (checked pinion gear engagement and it was flush with outer edge of ring gear)

Tried starter a couple times with outer primary off and it would hit the ring gear but not engage. Loosened starter then checked alignment and re-tightened to spec. Charged battery, and all seemed well.

Now, with everything buttoned back up, when I hit the start switch the starter will just click. After a few presses it spins up, very powerfully, and the motor fires in a split second, literally. Obviously running just fine, and obviously enough power to crank the motor.

Can hear starter spinning for a short while after engine starts, but I think that's normal?

Just who might have experienced something simliar, and what it was they discovered was wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:18 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

haha guess I overstayed my welcome

it's the pinion gear hitting the ring gear. the "click" is coming from that exactly location

no fckin clue. pretty sure I assembled everything properly. bummer.