Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Asking for help with an odd turn signal gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Patriot_0311
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asking for help with an odd turn signal gremlin

Hi All,

I've tried searching the forum to no end for this specific issue and couldn't find an answer. I'm asking for help to troubleshoot a turn signal gremlin I'm dealing with.

I have a 1999 Road King Classic. The left turn signal typically does not work (I press the signal switch, nothing happens, does not come on steady, does not flash, no indicator light on the dashboard). I also cannot cancel a right turn signal (which works fine) by pressing the left signal button.

Now, the problem has been intermittent meaning sometimes the turn signal will work just fine, and other times it will not. I have had it stop working during a turn (ie, it works to start the blinker, but then will not cancel it and I need to cancel it using the right turn signal).

To complicate matters, it seems like the horn may be contributing to the issue; I was trying different combinations of holding switches with the left handlebar controls and found that many times (7-8 out of 10) if I hold the left turn signal switch in and blip the horn, the blinker turns on as soon as I hit the horn. It will continue to work on it's own for some time (meaning I can use just the signal switch to turn the blinker on and off) but will again stop working on it's own.

Any electrical engineers out there able to help a brother out?

Thanks in advance,
Jake

Last edited by Patriot_0311; 05-04-2010 at 11:12 AM.