Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

I need help to figure this out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 03:18 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I need help to figure this out.

Ok, i am getting an intermitten cut out almost like your loosing fuel or were running out of gas. It tends to happen more when you are at a constant speed and constant RPM or trying to maintain this. Say running 60miles an hour on a state route and holding it there. and all the sudden you will feel it cut out like it lost all gas then come right back or if you give it gas its fine. It also surges some say your going thru town at 30 mph and it feels like the bike is surgging forward backward kind of if you follow me.

Ok bike is 2007 FXDC, i had a PCIII and removed it and went with a SEPST and dyno run. At the same time i also added a 2 inch tank lift.

Problem has gotten worse. Took it back in and they said it ran fine on the tune and then he ran it like i stated above and he did see it spiking up to 14.7 out of the blue in the low and mid ranges when holding steady like i said above. He richened it up and we road all the way to the lake about 1.5hrs away and it ran great ate and came back and it was same issues on way home. so took it back in and was at the shop about a week and they decided it was an ECM issue so they replaced the ecm and race tuner and checked the dyno run got it back this thursday. Road it to work same issues.

Today i decided that i needed to do my service bike has just over 43,000 miles on it i went ahead and pulled the fuel filter and did it agian and it was dirty. Took it for a test run and still have the same problems. Taking it back to the dealer in the morning.

Anyone have any idea whats going on or suggestions.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could check for water / condensation in fuel tank before bringing it into the dealer for them to check.

Even if you find none it still would not hurt to run some "HEET" (dry gas) though it for good measure.

Ethanol gas is killer for separating and collecting condensation not to mention corroding everything.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:26 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member

just had the fuel pump out and tank completely empty yesterday and today and looked great inside no rust or water issues. And put good shell Vpower 93 octane back in.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 PM
jerseyjimk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check your vent line.It maybe pinched since you lifted your tank or could pinched some where else from another project

Old 05-02-2010, 07:21 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member

nope checked that today and it was fine and its new line from jackly kit all good there.

Keep the ideas coming.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You might have a pin sized hole in the fuel line from the fuel pump inside the tank.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:37 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member

i wondered about that as well Dr Vtwin and checked them over as well as i could while i was in there and plan to bring that up to them when i take it back in to the shop see if they can do a fuel psi check on it while they are running it as well.

I saw no abraisons or wear and felt no gas leaks on the hoses but that being said a pin hole under psi makes a big difference and could suck air depending on where its at and how the fuel is sloshing around in the tank.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:39 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Does it vary with how much gas is in the tank? When my tank was full to the top it was fine but as the level got lower it be sucking air. I had this happen to my ride when I first got it. It drove me crazy until I figured it out.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:49 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member

Thats the odd thing with the pin hole deal i have tried the low tank full tank makes no difference for example after i did the fuel filter i rode to the gas station and filled her full and still had the issue and in the past i let it get low full didn't matter.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:52 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

It sounds like that is most likely not your issue then.

Quick Reply: I need help to figure this out.