Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:25 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SERT

ORIGINAL: priceamp

The Tuner voids the warranty so it doesn't matter who installs it. THe combination you are doing is a canned map on the Tuner.

DO NOT install a 1550 map in a 1450. It will have retarded timing and too much fuel. The "power" is from being too rich.

Use a 1450 map, set all the 14#'s to 14.1 or 14.2 in the AFR table, add 1-1.5 degrees timing at 90-100KPA for the entire rpm range and have fun.
Screaming Eagle,
You say installing a SERT voids the warranty.
Is this the 2 yr warranty or the extended warranty or both? Do you know this for sure? ‘Cause I better figure this out so I cash out my extended warranty quick as it is pro-rated.

Can you explain why we should advance the timing by 1-1.5 degrees?

1-1.5 degrees is a lot of increments in the timing table?????
Why do people say that you install the SERT, there is no permanent installation, only a temporary one to program the ECM, and then the SERT is removed, unlike a PCIII which stays in the bike. The SERT is only the expensive interface between your computer or the stealers computer and the ECM on your bike that allows you to program the ECM and then you take it out along with it's cables and put it all back into it's box until the next time you need to use it. It also doesn't void any warranty.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:18 AM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed. Installed is the wrong terminology. Sync the SERT back box to the ECM or marry the SERT black box to the ECM is more appropriate, but it's the terminology HD dealers use. Being an EE I had to scratch my head the first time I heard the dealer refer to a download from HD. (Say what?) DITTO for the term the HD dealers use of "download". It's really more like you're uploading a code from an EPROM in a black plastic box or SERT software to the EPROM within the ECM PC board. And in reality what we are doing is flashing the EPROM on the ECM PC board. My senior EE project back in '84 was to build an EPROM burner and the associated user interface software, but then I don't have an arm full of tats! So if the dealer wants to call it install the SERT or download a map from HD, who am I to say different :-) ?

Old 08-14-2006, 01:23 PM
SSmike1
Intermediate

Obviously, the correct A/F is Optimum,
my point is people are saying a Rich A/F causes the motor to run hot. that is Not True. LEAN = HOT.
rich = cooler.
Correct A/F = THE BEST!

ORIGINAL: lacedwheels

You are Better off with a RICH map, than a LEAN map,
A correct mixture is better yet and it must be achieved for maximum power, milage and engine life. An engine running on the "rich" side has its own bag of detriment, ie, poor ring life due to washing and varnish build-up, gas flooded oil, Carbon build-up, etc. It was mentioned that these engines are designed to run a tick on the lean side, true that. Carbon build-up on big pistons can be a detonation nightmere.
When tuning, it is easier to start on the lean side then add fuel to correct the ratio then it is to find the sweet spot from the rich side.
An engine running on the rich side will certainly seem to run good which gives the unknowing owner a false sense of reassurence.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Ready2Ride
Outstanding HDF Member

I would suggest anybody that has questions about Sert/PCIII go read this: https://www.hdforums.com/m_625765/tm.htm This was the informative thing I've read on this site. I'm convinced JamieWG has done his homework and has become the "Guru" of the SERT.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:14 PM
SSmike1
Intermediate

YES
JamieWG knows how to use the SERT
so, it makes sense to him!

I HAVE NOW USED MY SERT.

It is easy to use.

All you are Doing, with the SERT, is Installing a NEW MAP into the Original ECU.

you are Over-writing the MAP that was in the bikes ECU Memory
with a NEW MAP.

what is GREAT about the SERT,
i went to the Dealer, who Installed my SERT for the First Time,
and GOT the MAP that they used,

then i loaded it into my SERT Program on my Computer,
and MASAGED the Warm-Up, Accel Enrichment, RPM limiter, and LOW RPM A/F ratio at 20 to 70MAP Manifold Absolute Pressure,
Re-Installed this MAP with MY Modifications
and the BIKE RUNS PERFECT NOW!

SERT is the way to go, if you can Operate a Computer!

----------------------------------------------

Old 08-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

Can you attach the map so we can take a look at it?

Old 08-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Ready2Ride
Outstanding HDF Member

I also would like to see your MAP. I loaded the canned MAP and the bike runs great. I do get a little burbling from the exhaust on decel. I would like to get a better understanding of the values in the MAP.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:31 PM
ernestchet
Intermediate

10-4 and bingo!!!

you are fooled into thinking the motor is running great..............when in fact its not!

Old 08-20-2006, 11:11 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cwsharp

My dealer's comment is that the only thing that isn't under warranty is anything that is damaged by the change that you make. LIKE I SAID _ CALL HD CUSTOMER SERVICE OR LOOK AT THIS DISCLAIMER THAT POPS UP EVERY TIME YOU START THE SOFTWARE..

CAUTION
Certain custom calibrations included in the SOFTWARE PRODUCT are strictly for race use applications only. Installation of these custom calibrations will likely cause your motorcycle to be non-compliant under U.S. EPA, California, and other emissions laws, rules and regulations. PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL THESE CUSTOM CALIBRATIONS AND OPERATE YOUR MOTORCYCLE ON PUBLIC ROADS.

Harley-Davidson motorcycles equipped with some Screamin' Eagle performance products may not be used on public roads as installation could lead to non-emissions compliant motorcycles, according to U.S. EPA, California, or other legal standards. Installation of some Screamin' Eagle performance products, especially those intended for closed course or racing applications, may be illegal and considered as emissions-related tampering according to laws and regulations enacted by the U.S. EPA. Review the Screamin' Eagle section of your Harley-Davidson Parts and Accessories catalog to understand those components, parts, and kits that are intended for closed course or racing applications only, and those that are suitable for on-road use.

MOTORCYCLE WARRANTY IMPLICATIONS
Installation of this product (and similar products from other manufacturers) may reduce or void your Harley-Davidson motorcycle warranty.

I suppose that an extremely rich condition could cause blueing of pipes.OR RETARDED TIMING.. because the unspent fuel hits the hot pipe and makes it hotter when it ignites? IT BURNS IN THE PIPE
Someone that can run a dyno really well is a special person with a lot of patience and knowledge. THANK YOU FOR CALLING ME SPECIAL []
IMHO you have to watch out for timing issues and lean conditions most of all. TRUEIf you're really experienced with engine tuning, you can do this all yourself, of course. YOU NEED A DYNO FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN STRAIGHTFORWARD BUILDS THAT MATCH THE CANNED MAPS IF YOU WANT IT TO BE CORRECT

C#

Old 08-21-2006, 11:08 AM
SSmike1
Intermediate

sure,
i can attach the MAP i got from the Dealer, who installed it on my bike,
and
i will attach the MODIFICATIONS i did to the Map to get it to run correctly at LOW RPMS
and Starting out from a stop, when cold.

i am gone on a bike ride for 3 days
VACATION = YAAAAAA

i'll attach the maps when i get back, thursday!

Quick Reply: SERT