Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

My Wide Glide just dies!!! Why???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 PM
hooserdaddy3
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Wide Glide just dies!!! Why???

I cant seem to find any threads on my issue so I'm posting. I have a 2000 Wide Glide and it is dying on me. Here's the details: It sat pretty much all last year, I rode it maybe twice for a total of about 100 miles and it sat from August 2009 until March 2010. I pulled it out and changed the engine oil, transmission and primary fluids. I rode it that day and it ran fine for about 25 minutes. Then, with no warning or symptoms, it just died! The engine cut off but I had all electrical power; lights, horn, speedo backlighting, etc. I pulled over and cranked it but it wouldnt start, just crank crank crank. I let it sit for about 20 minutes and it fired right up and ran another 20 or so minutes to get me home. That weekend I rebuilt the carb, changed the tank fuel filter, cleaned out all fuel and vacuum lines and put fresh gas in it. It ran like a champ that day for over an hour so I thought I had fixed it. WRONG! A few days later I rode it again and after about 30 minutes, same thing, died! I let it sit for about 5 minutes that time and then it started and got me home, about 5 miles down the road. Suspecting vapor lock, I drilled the hole in the gas cap. That didnt work either, she still dies on me. Heres the tricky part...I know most of you are thinking ignition coil, as am I...but it only dies on me when its warm outside, like above 80 degrees or higher out. When its cooler out, below 70, it runs fine. I rode it the other day for over 2 hours and it ran fine, but it was about 65 out. Sorry for the long post but I am stumped on this one. Please HELP!!! Any ideas? Some people still think it could be the coil. On warmer days it gets hotter and if it is cracked internally it could be failing, cooler days it works fine. I dont think it is but at this point I'm not so sure. Thanks in advance for the advice.
V/R,
John