Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bad Voltage Regulator only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:49 PM
diiulio
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Voltage Regulator only?

I have gone through the electrical diagnostic check for the charging system. I think based on the results only the regulator is bad, but also have another question.

1. My bike (2000 springer softail) was dead, clicking when trying to start. So I replaced the battery, took it for an hour ride and it wouldn't start when I arrived to my destination. Popped the clutch and drove it home.

2. Arrived home, pulled battery because it only had about 11 volts dc. I charged it and then replaced it back in the bike.

3. Testing results:
Battery after charging 12.5 volts
Stator - full resistance between each pin and ground, continuity between the two pins (read something crazy like 300 M Ohms, but it read continuity)
Stator - when bike is running, reading across the pins I get about 25 volts and rev it a little I get 35 volts.
Regulator - I get .5 and .7 volts across each pin and ground when the bike is off.

Now, this leaves me with two questions:
1. Replace just the regulator or regulator and stator?
2. Funny thing when I disconnected the stator from the regulator oil leaked out of both connectors. Obviously this was coming from the primary/stator side. Is this normal or is there something wrong? It didn't leak out of the plug until I disconnected them.

Thanks for your time. Feedback please.
Jason

Old 04-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Been Had
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There should NOT be oil in the plug.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:01 PM
diiulio
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think there should be oil in there. Is this one of those things that I have to mount the plug up high on the frame rather than below the regulator?

What is the solution to this problem? I am thinking the leaking oil may have something to do with the regulator shorting out too so I don't want to put the new regulator in without fixing the issue.