Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

is this a fuel injection problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:04 AM
longtimedead
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a fuel injection problem

Hi everyone,i'm new to this forum but have been reading it for ages now,i recently got back into Harleys after a gap of two years,this time with an 03 Road King classic,the bike had done 12500 when i bought it and its now up to 15000 in just a couple of months,it has full dealer service history and has run perfect till recently when on two occasions when i have started up after stopping for 20/30 minuets it has run like a pig,lumpy,feels rich,slight smell of fuel and when i pull the clutch in it stops but does start straight away,if i ride through it ,it clears and is fine again,the last time it did it i pulled over,reved the thing to keep it going as it wanted to stall,when it did pick up after about 10 seconds of carefull blipping the throttle the reves increased on there own with me not holding the throttle and built up to around 2500 rpm for around 20 seconds and then died down to normal,after that the bike ran perfect ,sounds like a suspect sensor for the heat on the electronic choke/mixture to me ,but i know little about how to fix it or where to find such a thing if that is what it is,any suggestions on what it is and how to fix it would be appreciated

Old 08-09-2006, 02:38 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: is this a fuel injection problem

I'd think that you might need to have the ECM checked and remapped. While they are at it, check for any loose connections in the connector to the ECM unit. Might also check the fueler.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a fuel pressure test done......

Sounds like you might have a loss of pressure in the internal tank lines, or you might be starting the bike before the system is fully primed.....

Really hard to tell, unless you have a SERT for the data mode or you get hooked up to a Digital Tech or TwinScan....

You need to watch the values of the sensors and actuators before, during and after this type of event....

Old 08-11-2006, 01:08 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ECM's don't lose their flash. Don't go to the dealer asking for a reflash. I would look at fuel as well. The key is that it has good pressure AND it holds it when you turn off the power (within a couple psi) If it drops to zero, you have a hole in one of your internal tank lines.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:33 AM
longtimedead
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the clue's,i will check them out over the weekend,i forgot to mention that the bike has a dynojet power commander fitted( not recently ),stage one and screaming eagles,i have spoken to dynojet,they suggest to disconnect the powercommander to see if the problem goes away to eliminate it from being the cause , is this just a case of disconecting all the wires , do i need to reconnect them to anything , they also suggested it could be a leak/crack in the inlet manifold