Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Master Tune question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:47 PM
tscott38
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTS Master Tune question

I apologize if this question has been answered somewhere but I have never used software like this. (sert or otherwise)

So I know nothing about VE tables and the like.

How user friendly is this system? Before I buy I want to make sure I'm not going to put it on the computer and then have no idea what to do.

thanks,

Tom

Old 04-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

The TTS software is very close to the old SERT software. As long as you can read instructions and can use a computer you can use the TTS. No special training necessary. You will need a laptop to do the VE tables on the datamaster program.... again, easy as following the instructions. You can also read the topics here or on other forums and get a good feel for what is needed and or you can email/call TTS. They are easy to speak with.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheres a good place to get the TTS at a discount?

Old 04-08-2010, 05:46 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

jdcycle in PA, ask for dave

Old 04-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by tscott38
...So I know nothing about VE tables and the like.
VE (Volumetric Efficiency) - a percentage rating of how much air is flowing through the engine while running as compared to its theoretical capacity.

Originally Posted by tscott38
...How user friendly is this system? Before I buy I want to make sure I'm not going to put it on the computer and then have no idea what to do...
Like you, I had no experience with tuning these machines. So, I did some research and decided on the TTS.

A couple of evenings spent reading the Help files and I could download and save the ECM's original program (highly recommended).

Downloaded a map that was close to my setup, then a few V-tunes (first couple were learning experiences as I did not read the Help files all that close but figured out my mistakes).

Now I can do three or four V-tunes in an afternoon including generating new maps from the data collected.

As suggested above, if you can operate a laptop reasonably well and read/comprehend the Help files, the programs will serve you well.

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 PM
user 9375875
Banned

Tom,

You can download the TTS tuning guide from the TTS website at http://www.mastertune.net/files/Tuni..._Guide-125.pdf

This will give you the overview of how the product works, and detailed instructions on how to tune your bike.

--Gary

Old 04-08-2010, 07:07 PM
dmftoy1
Tourer

Newbie to Mastertune TTS and tuning Harley's . .but computer programmer by trade. I just finished doing my first tune after replacing my pipes and A/C and I have to say it's a pretty slick setup. The key thing to understand is that you're going to take a map that's "close" to what you need, make the two changes to it (AFR and PE - closed loop system in my case) and then program it into the ECM (very simple). (this assumes you already backed up your original settings)

You then shut down the mastertune program and bring up the data logger. You set it for your motorcycle, (defaulted to Big Twin for me), start the bike up and let it warm up while you put on your riding gear. The data logger will show you when you're at operating temp, you click "start" to record the data and you then put the laptop in a saddlebag with the lid closed and the cable still attached and go for a ride. The key thing is to try to record as many seconds of data in each RPM range and for each throttle position as possible.

When you get back you leave the bike running, get off, take the laptop out and "stop" recording and then shut the bike off. You then take your original tuning map, and the data recording and feed them into Vtune which generates a new map - you repeat as necessary.

The really cool thing is that after you've got that first data log you can replay it as many times as you want on your laptop and see where you were getting good data, etc. You can almost envision the whole ride watching the RPM's, engine temp, etc as it's played back.

Anyway - just my .02. I was a bit intimidated by the concept at first but the software is pretty easy to use . . .just ALOT of info if you want to use it . ..

Have a good one,
Dave

Old 04-09-2010, 03:54 AM
tscott38
1st Gear

This setup sounds great! Bought the Ultra new with 7 miles on it 2 weeks ago and now have just over 700. (Long ride from phoenix up through sho low and payson to break it in) Everything stock and now I'm trying to decide where to start but don't want to be changing tuners and the like once a year.
Wife likes the factory pipes instead of the ones I had on the road king so I will start with a ac and sounds like the mastertune and go from there.

thanks for all the input!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Harley Delphi FI is really the same as most modern Automobiles. Same sensors doing pretty much the same thing. Nothing exotic about it.

A little bit of studing and pretty easy.