Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Question on 2010 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:13 PM
tscott38
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on 2010 Ultra

Just traded a 2005 Road King with stage 1 in for a 2010 Ulta. (Loving It!)

Bike has alot of torque but it's obvious it is restricted and lean.

Wife hated the pipes on the road king so we are going to stick with the factory pipes for a bit but I am thinking of a SEAC and a fuelpak to see how it does. They have a map for just an air cleaner with the stock pipes and programming and this makes it easy for minor changes down the road.

I know everyone has their preferance on tuners and the like, but what are some thoughts on a simple set up like this to get started??

All responses are welcomed!

Thanks,
Tom

Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 PM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Used Vance & Hines slip on's and Big Sucker AC Ness and Fuel pack, Very simple to use and sounds great & smooth.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:31 PM
RONW48
Novice

Originally Posted by tscott38
Just traded a 2005 Road King with stage 1 in for a 2010 Ulta. (Loving It!)

Bike has alot of torque but it's obvious it is restricted and lean.

Wife hated the pipes on the road king so we are going to stick with the factory pipes for a bit but I am thinking of a SEAC and a fuelpak to see how it does. They have a map for just an air cleaner with the stock pipes and programming and this makes it easy for minor changes down the road.

I know everyone has their preferance on tuners and the like, but what are some thoughts on a simple set up like this to get started??

All responses are welcomed!

Thanks,
Tom
The 2010 Ultra has Catalytic converter in the head pipe. Changing the mufflers will have little difference in the sound and no difference for the tune. Changing A/C will give a little deeper sound and will make it run very lean. You can use something like a fuelpak trick the ECM into richening it up, but IMHO it will be wasted money if you plan on doing anything else to the bike down the road. I'd skip the fuel pack and invest in a TTS Mastertune. It will allow you to tune to whatever setup you have now and down the road.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:43 PM
tscott38
1st Gear

The parts guys at the dealership are recommending a SERT or something called a Thundermax auto tune setup. I know of the Sert and did alittle reading yesterday on the thundermax as that was the first I had heard of it.
The auto tune feature sounds like a pretty good deal. What are your thoughts on that?

Old 04-04-2010, 05:57 PM
RONW48
Novice

Originally Posted by tscott38
The parts guys at the dealership are recommending a SERT or something called a Thundermax auto tune setup. I know of the Sert and did alittle reading yesterday on the thundermax as that was the first I had heard of it.
The auto tune feature sounds like a pretty good deal. What are your thoughts on that?

I hope the dealer is talking about the SE Pro Race Tuner and not the old version. If so, it is pretty close to the TTS Mastertune in capability, but just a little pricier. Thundermax Auto Tune is about twice the price and much less capable, but a little simpler to use. I've used the SE Pro Race Tuner and the TTS Mastertune and both are good. The TTS Mastertune is just easier and has more capability.

TTS Mastertune has a V-tune feature that simulates a dyno tune by just riding your bike like you normally would. You can also save the factory setup so that it can be reinstalled if there is ever a warranty or emissions problem.

The SE Pro Race Tuner added that option this year, but it still needs some work. It is getting closer to TTS Mastertune in capabilities and ease of use, but it isn't quite there yet.

Thundermax with Autotune constantly changes the setup as you ride but it, but it replaces your stock ECM with theirs instead of changing it. It is a good system, but lacks many of the tuning options of either of the above systems.

If you are thinking about having the bike dyno tuned, talk to the tuner and see what they are familiar with and go with that.