Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Low Speed Stutter, Im at the end of my rope

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 01:30 AM
zzmellio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low Speed Stutter, Im at the end of my rope

Okay, I'm really baffled. Here is the low down. 03 RK Classic, SE/AC Stage 1 download, Vance and Hines Basic slip-ons, and PCIII usb. At low speed, between 10 to 40MPH the bike has a stutter. When I say stutter, it is like it runs fine then all of the sudden it has a quick pause. It mimicks a lean condition. example; --------h---h------h-h--h--------h--h----. I did the SE/AC and the stage 1 download. Problem still there, I added a PCIII usb, problem a little better but still there. Put on a new TPS, problem still there, Had a custom map built, problem still there, Changed the fuel filter and checked fuel lines, problem still there. Checke intake for leaks, found none. Changed plugs and wires, problem still there. I am totally at my wits end. Can anybody provide some input. Do I need to have the bike put on a scanalyzer and have all of the sensors checked out for calibration. There are no codes or historic codes. Bike only has 20k on it I dont think it should be running like this at low speed. On the highway it runns great.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 957 Likes on 442 Posts
Default RE: Low Speed Stutter, Im at the end of my rope

Try running it without the Power Commander and see if it disappears. That will let you know if it's the Power Commander "hiccup" or not.

Uncle Peepers

Old 08-06-2006, 12:07 AM
flh4652
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 03 ultra that did the same thing. It ended up being a weak coil. The "stutter" as you call it usually got worse after the bike was riden for 50 miles + and go nice and hot. You might want to check it out.

RWT

Old 08-07-2006, 12:28 AM
zzmellio
Tourer

The problem is far worse without the power commander. Over the weekend I pulled the tank and did a full continuity check of all the wires, injectors, TPS, ETS, IAT, IAC, ect. I traced the wires clear back to the ecu harness. I even put in a new engine temp sensor. I guess the only thing left is the coil. I have even pegged out the fuel mix by using the buttons on the PCIII just to see if I could isolate the effected fuel circut. Problem still there. I hate to keep spending money and my stealer says all checks out fine. The only time it runs fine is first thing in the morning when I start it cold a take off after a brief warm up. After about 3 or 4 miles the stutter at low speed starts. Thanks for all you input and I welcome more.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:47 AM
zzmellio
Tourer

Went ot the dealer today and ohm'd out a new coil. I has the same values as mine. I guess I'll have to break down and take it to the shop.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:55 AM
FreddyP
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force
Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

zzmellio - please post what you find if the dealer gets the problem solved. I have a 2003 EG with 25K miles, Stage 1 air cleaner, Hooker tunable slip-ons, PCIII USB an 203 cams. I have run the PCIII for over 15K with no real problems. The bike was dynoed after the 203s and, although it runs okay, it has the same type of hesitation or stumbling between 2200-2500 RPM that you describe. Memory seems like this was no happening before 203's...but just can't remember 100 percent. I have also played with minor adjustments of the PCIII using the buttons....no luck. The check engine light has never come on so I doubt that any codes have been thrown. I've tried the famous "Harley wire wiggle" of the injector connectors with no problems noted. My stumbling seems to occur more if I just slightly roll off the throttle around 2200 RPM. Bike pulls strong under load and I can hit rev limiter with no problems. (I have stage 1 flash on ECM). So tonight I disconnected the PCIII completely. Noted that the bike started faster and seems to run with no stumbling when I took it to the gas station to fill up (even though I still had 1/2 tank). I'm anxious to see how it does when the engine is completely cold in the AM. All of this testing was done just after I got home from work and the bike was near normal operating temperature. Oh well, I'll stop this rambling and report my success (or not) too!

Old 08-09-2006, 04:10 PM
mtrout
Novice

Had the same issue with my bike. The problem was that it was not getting enough fuel at that throttle position and RPM. I am using a Fuelpak but with some adjustments got rid of the stutter. It was bad at first, felt like the engine just quit for a sec then came back. Talked to the tech at V&H and he said the bikes run lean out of the factory and even with Stage 1 download, still too lean for upgraded air cleaner and pipes. Once I added the proper amount of fuel the problem went away. I would suggest changing your map to increase the fuel added in the low to mid RPM's, even if you go too rich the problem should go away. Best thing would be to get a dyno run and look to see where the fuel/air ratio needs to be corrected.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:40 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member

My Deuce had the stutter after I put on the pipes, K&N, SERT and a closest map. Using the SERT, richening the map at that RPM/kpa area cured the problem. The stutter was barely there with slow acceleration, but got worse as I cranked the throttle harder. So I had to richen the lower kpa slightly and more as the kpa increased. Mine problem area was between 1000 and 1500 RPM.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:19 AM
zzmellio
Tourer

Thanks for the input but I have pegged out the map on the PCIII trying to isolate the problem. No matter how rich I had the map the miss is still there. I am taking it into the dealer. I am suspecting either a bad coil or a bad injector. The rear cyclinder is missing spark a low cruise speed. With the PCIII of the bike the miss or stutter is still present all the way up to about 50 to 55 MPH.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:34 PM
cap_njack
Novice

please let us know the outcome, I have a 2006 wide glide doing the same thing....I have a pcIII as well

Quick Reply: Low Speed Stutter, Im at the end of my rope