Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Intermittent dying issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010 | 10:52 PM
DanD
|
Road Captain
Default Intermittent dying issue

not sure if this is the right place for this one...2002 FXD,this began last fall,before the cold set in.I rid about 15 miles or so,and bike dies like it just ran out of gas,at first I thought it might be a plugged screen on the petcock,but when i pulled it out the screen was clean.so i took the spring out of the diaphragm in it.bike did same thing,only now,fuel ran out of the carb when the engine stopped.
So i Rebuilt the carb,<stock keihin>looked like the pin in the stock float needle was weak and partially collapsed,compared to the new one,so i put it back together with high hopes.no more flooding issue,but again,the bike died after 15 miles,then restarted after sitting about 10 minutes.So I'm thinkin it's an ignition issue,it died once more on the way back home.after it dies,it will backfire a bit,and idle for a few seconds.I checked and it's getting plenty of fuel,easy to do with the spring still out of the petcock,so vacuum doesn't shut it off.
Tomorrow,i'm going to try the hairdryer on the coil trick while it
's idling,to see if that makes it happen again,otherwise i'm putting the spare module in it.
any Ideas on what else it could be?

Old 03-13-2010 | 08:19 AM
poppazoidi
6th Gear
Default Intermittent dying issue

I experienced the same thing on my EVO. Tried cleaning carb & fuel filter, changing out coil module, ensuring vent on fuel cap was clear, spark plugs and a few more things I don't recall. The problem turned out to be the PULSAR MODULE (located under the cam cover on the right side of the engine). Before the fix, it took me 10 hours to ride 350 miles, 10-15 miles at a time. Hope this helps.

Old 03-13-2010 | 06:21 PM
DanD
|
Road Captain

hmm,I don't think twin cams have one of those....I couldn't get it to die in the drive while holding a heat gun on the coil,and I heated it up till it was hot to the touch,so I don't think it's the coil,guess i'll try the module next...Uggh,I hate diagnosis by replacement!

Old 03-16-2010 | 11:42 PM
DanD
|
Road Captain

well,i did some more looking,found a poster in the U.K. with identical symptoms, including the distance till it dies and cool down to restart,seems to be pointing at the CKP sensor,so a new one is going in tomorrow nite.( had some urgent work to the beehives tonight).
I'll post of the benefit of others if this fixed it.

Old 03-17-2010 | 06:21 PM
shadylane
Advanced

Since you have disabled the vacuum fuel valve and fixed the carb fuel level problem that having the gas on constantly exposed. The next thing is to find out why the bike dies after "15 miles or so". Try leaving the gas cap on loosely, this will help to see it the cap is venting. Next get a can of "freezit" from radio shack and spray it on ignition parts one at a time till you find what is temperature sensitive....Wish you luck, I respect people who fix their own problems, much better than talking about thier "tuner" or "builder"

Old 03-17-2010 | 07:25 PM
DanD
|
Road Captain

I thought about the can of freeze trick,but I'm 90% sure this sensor is gonna fix it.Reminds me of back in the day,in a car dealership,mechanics used to use a can of freon,and poke a hole in it to cool a choke in order to test/adjust it.I always thought ti was funny,mechanics were the ones discharging it,yet when they required a license to buy freon,the same guys who blew it out like that were the only ones who could still buy it.but that's a topic for another thread me thinks.

Last edited by DanD; 03-17-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2010 | 07:11 PM
DanD
|
Road Captain
Talking

Fixed! Just rode it for a couple of hours,no hint of the issue.It was indeed the CKP sensor.now that I think about it,it is somewhat similar to the Cherokee i bought a few years ago for 1/3 book value because it was driven about 15 miles then died and wouldn't start again for a couple of day,and the used car dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong.It was the crank sensor as well.
for anyone else who replaces one of these,a piece of fishing line tied on to the old wire,then tied to the new works really well for "fishing" the wire thru the looming what else would you use for fishing?