Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Cruise Control Question / Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:55 PM
zlaneb
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cruise Control Question / Problem

Hello, I need some help understanding if my cruise control is functioning correct:

I have a 07 EG Classic and added cruise control. This is my first Harley, and first bike with Cruise control. I love my bike!

I've noticed when I am runnig with Cruise on, and I hit either the rear or front brake, the cruise disengages (the light on the dash turns orange/red), but the throttle doesn't roll back automatically. So the bike maintains the speed set at cruise. I have to turn the throttle back manually to reduce speed. However without cruise control on, I can crack open the throttle and when I release it, the throttle returns to the normal 'idle' position.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Is this even a problem? I appreciate any help you can provide.

Ride Safe,
Zlaneb
Austin, TX

2007 Electra Glide Classic
Fire Red Perl and Black Perl
335 fun filled miles!

Old 07-31-2006, 05:13 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Cruise Control Question / Problem

who installed the cruise? It's not working correctly. The cruise should disengage as you said and when you grab a handfull of throttle to accelerate. Take it back to whoever installed and have them correct.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:42 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cruise Control Question / Problem

there is a procedure for setting the cable lash on the cruise. i would make sure they did it.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:55 AM
zlaneb
Cruiser
Default SOLVED RE: Cruise Control Problem

Thanks for the feedback guys. I searched the web for "cruise control lash HD" and found instructions for resetting the cable lash. In less than 5 minutes my cruise is working now!!!!! This FORUM works!!! Here are the simple steps found at http://www.moccsplace.com/images/harley/hbar/lash.htm

**Cruise Control Cable Lash Initialization For Harley Touring Models**

1.) With the Ignition off, push the right cruise switch to RESUME and hold it there.

2.) Push the cruise on/off button to ON.

3.) Turn on the ignition switch and crank the engine. The GREEN ENGAGED light will illuminate for three seconds and go out. When it goes out, release the RESUME switch.

4.) With the bike still running, push the right cruise switch to RESUME again and hold it while the unit pulls in the slack in the cable. When the engine revs up a bit and the green light goes out again, release the RESUME button and turn the ignition switch off.

THIS WORKED and I can go to bed with a little less on my mind!!!!!

Thanks again for the replies

Ride safe
zlaneb
Austin, TX

Old 08-25-2006, 11:12 PM
zlaneb
Cruiser
Default RE: SOLVED RE: Cruise Control Problem

August 25,2006
The cruise issue has raised it's ugly head again. The dealer told me today that the device needed a new cable???? I hope to have more information that I can share this weekend. Either way, my cruise currently will cancel electronically, but the throttle hangs open.
Stay tuned
zlaneb

Old 08-27-2006, 09:35 PM
zlaneb
Cruiser

OK
Dealer tells me the the Cruise isn't returning the throttle to idle when I disengage because of a faulty cable. They have ordered a replacement throttle cable and that should fix the problem.
zlaneb

Old 07-25-2007, 06:58 PM
keving73
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: zlaneb

Thanks for the feedback guys. I searched the web for "cruise control lash HD" and found instructions for resetting the cable lash. In less than 5 minutes my cruise is working now!!!!! This FORUM works!!! Here are the simple steps found at http://www.moccsplace.com/images/harley/hbar/lash.htm

**Cruise Control Cable Lash Initialization For Harley Touring Models**

1.) With the Ignition off, push the right cruise switch to RESUME and hold it there.

2.) Push the cruise on/off button to ON.

3.) Turn on the ignition switch and crank the engine. The GREEN ENGAGED light will illuminate for three seconds and go out. When it goes out, release the RESUME switch.

4.) With the bike still running, push the right cruise switch to RESUME again and hold it while the unit pulls in the slack in the cable. When the engine revs up a bit and the green light goes out again, release the RESUME button and turn the ignition switch off.

THIS WORKED and I can go to bed with a little less on my mind!!!!!

Thanks again for the replies

Ride safe
zlaneb
Austin, TX

I did all of these steps. I did exactly what was said and when I got to the starting the bike, the green light came on and went off after 3 seconds. I hit resume again and the throttle bumped up a little for about a second or 2 and i took it for a test ride, and the cruise still won't work. The on/off (red light on left) works, but the right side (green light set/resume) will not set the cruise. I have read maybe something about a THROTTLE ROCKER switch that when you push the throttle forward, it turns off the cruise just like hitting the brake. I don't know what color the wire is and even if I found the color, can I just clip the wire from the cruise control module located on the left side above the fuse box, or do I have to take apart the right side handlebar controls?
By the way, if it helps, I have a 2002 FLHRSEI Road King Screamin Eagle with factory cruise. Can anyone help me with my issue? I know the switches themselves are working properly. just the concept of having it on the bike isn't working for me. i know it used to work properly because I have had the bike for over a year and towards the end of last year is worked, but when I hit a bump, it would shut off.

Thank you
Kevin

Old 07-25-2007, 07:23 PM
keving73
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured it out and got it working, This has got to be the best website I have ever used. It was the throttle roll-off switch and I just unplugged one of the wires, repeated the steps from above and test drove it. Thanks to everyone who had answers (and unfortunately the problem too) that helped me out.