Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS tune questions from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:51 PM
FrankT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTS tune questions from a newbie

Guys,
Just did stage 1 and did my first two VTunes with TTS Mastertune. Each ride was about 30 mins. I followed the technical guide but I'm not sure if I am doing things correctly or not. I was not able to get beyond the 20% throttle indicator on any of my runs. I rode the bike as normal, trying to stay at each throttle level long enough to collect the data. I even had it on the highway doing about 80 mph and when I got home I was disappointed in the amount of "green squares" that I had filled. Not sure how else to hit all of the various RPM/throttle positions without having it dynoed. Also, when I created my new map file, I did not have any red cells, which I expected to see based on the documentation. All of my cells were either in the less than 10% range they were yellow (not enough data). I have started out with the canned map of AE176-002 for a 2009 FatBoy. I also have installed V&H BSS and Screamin Eagle A/C. Should I do some more runs? Not sure if it will make a difference or not as I don't know how else to alter my riding style to fill up more green squares. On average, how many more VTune runs should I expect to do before I can stop and consider it a good tune? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Frank

Old 03-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer

Frank, I do not consider myself to be an expert with the TTS as I too am new to it and just completed one V-tune today as it got to 50 degrees in Ohio today. I will give a little input and it may help, heck I may be wrong with my info. I will also post a few screen shots of my results.

First I rode the bike ALMOST like normal but once I was out on the open road, I ran 2nd gear all the way up to like 4 or 5k on the tach feathering each point a little along way. I don't think I stayed their long enough as I wasn't comfortable being that high and winding it out in 2nd. I did the same for 3rd and on the interstate played a little with 4th gear the same way.

Now I may be wrong how I did this, but here are two screen shots, one of data master with the green cells and one from v-tune with the red/pink etc....and I THINK they look pretty good for one run, but I am not sure?????

As I said, I too am still learning and I am reading all I can to help myself out before having to ask for help. Hope I helped a little and if my info is wrong I hope someone corrects me

Attached Thumbnails TTS tune questions from a newbie-firstvtune.jpg   TTS tune questions from a newbie-vtunecreated.jpg  

Last edited by Nozzleman 216; 03-07-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:00 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you happen to have some steep or long hills in the area? You can get fairly high throttle opening data without drawing much attention to yourself.

1st & 2nd gear are your friends! Don't have it full throttle as it won't collect data just twist the throttle slowly and build up speed holding it steady every 5mph gain and keep going to you hit the rev limiter or run outa road.

Some have hooked up a display so they can see what cells are being hit. Typically you have to do at least three runs and you trend the cells you weren't able to collect data for. The more cells you hit the less trending you need to do.

Someone posted some tips awhile ago, let me see if I can find them.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing you can do is get on an empty stretch of road (or a large parking lot) and drag the rear brake in 1st and 2nd. Don't forget to let it cool down from time to time. That way you can get increased TPS for each rpm and hold it with the brake. Similar to what a dyno does.

Nozz - I'd say you did pretty good getting all those cells to turn green on your first run.

Forgot to say - Listen for pinging when you load the motor up. The adaptive knock retard is turned off in VTune and you aren't doing anything to the spark tables with VTune. You can use Datamaster to record data and tune the timing manually, but it takes time and patience.

Last edited by 07RoadHawg; 03-07-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer

ColdCase, I would love it if you can find the tips. I have read and read and read some more and for the most part I think I know what I am doing. Since we are on the subject of questions, how is the process of blending completed and where do I do it?

I am sure the answer is somewhere in what I have already read, but just thought I would ask since it was mentioned above. Now to read about the dyno, quarter mile features that don't know how to do lol.

Love my TTS

Old 03-08-2010, 04:40 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankT
G...I was disappointed in the amount of "green squares" that I had filled. Not sure how else to hit all of the various RPM/throttle positions without having it dynoed...
As suggested above, a few hills will help. Also some pulls from low speed but in a higher gear will help too. Adding a passenger (if possible) will fill in some more of the cells plus, if they can see the laptop screen, they can give you some feedback on the cells you're missing.

But filling in the upper cells requires some steep hills or dyno.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:26 AM
FrankT
Cruiser

Thanks guys. I will keep trying. Problem is I live in NJ, where there are no hills.....just pot holes everywhere! I will try to stay in the low gears and run the throttle higher...I am a little leary about this since I don't have a tach and I don't like to put that much of a strain on the engine, not too mention I get all kinds of stares with the new pipes and running the engine that high! Maybe I am just too cautious. I will also try riding with a passenger on the back to add some more weight. Thanks for the advice....much appreciated. Ride safe.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer

Frank, I got lots of stairs yesterday as well LOL! I was blasting down a 2 lane road and it seemed everyone was in yard enjoying the first 50 degree day of srping. I bet they just loved hearing me blast buy at 60mph in 2nd gear LMAO!!

I also used the brake method, held rear brake and went through a few rpms. Didn't care to do it, but it appears it worked some?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:17 PM
FrankT
Cruiser

Hey Nozz,
How long did you ride for to collect your data? I see you got more than 12,000 hits. I got only 2,800 hits after about 30 mins or so. Maybe I just need to ride a lot longer?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer

Originally Posted by FrankT
Hey Nozz,
How long did you ride for to collect your data? I see you got more than 12,000 hits. I got only 2,800 hits after about 30 mins or so. Maybe I just need to ride a lot longer?

I am guessing I rode 40-45 minutes......MAYBE an hour tops!!!

Sounds to me like your laptop went to sleep or something?

Quick Reply: TTS tune questions from a newbie