Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Rear turn signals on Softail

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 01:31 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,912 Likes on 814 Posts
Default Rear turn signals on Softail

Are the rear turn signals on Softails supposed to be lit while the bike is running when the turn signals aren't on?

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-31-2005, 02:00 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Default RE: Rear turn signals on Softail

Howdy Clammy, I got curious about your post so I went out and looked at my Springer. I turned on the lights and the rear turn signals aren't on. The only light in the rear that is on is the tail light. I don't know if that is the way that it is supposed to be, but that is how it is on my bike. Maybe it will tell me something in my manual.

Old 05-31-2005, 02:03 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Clammy, I don't think so. People are spending big money for L.E.D. kits and other kits to make them stay on. If they shine and the turn signals still work I'd leave them alone

Terry

Old 05-31-2005, 02:08 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Only the front are lit on my RK as running lights. Like Terry said you can get a conversion kit if you want to, you can even make the rear blinkers serve as extra brake lights and signals as well.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:35 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear turn signals are only supposed to light up as turn signals. You can do conversions to make them function as running lights but according to the law, they have to be red.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,912 Likes on 814 Posts

Ok, thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a problem. It's funny because I ride at night a lot, and last night was the first time I noticed the rear turn signals didn't stay on, hehehe...

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Beefcake
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, mine don't act as running lights either. They only light up when I press the turn signal button. I just bought a conversion kit from custom dynamics to turn the rear turn signals into running AND brake lights in addition to acting as turn signals. They're both red. Eventually, I'm going to replace all the lights with LED's.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:02 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Only the fronts are lit all the time, the rears only as blinkers unless you change the sockets and rewire them, but you will probably end up with codes from the excess draw.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:23 AM
VegasFatSE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS: HD and after market, make brake light conversions. I think around 40.00(HD) for plug in module and red lenses. I ride in the evenings as it is so hot around here. They turn the rear signal lights into additional brake lights. The HD is a plug and play took me less than 5 mins to install. I installed clear lenses and red LED's on my ride. I also installed the lighted mounts from HD. They look nifty but I can not say they put out much light. They are running and brake lights.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Clammy,

Get the conversion kit from Kuryakyn. Around $50.00. Converts your turn signals into running lights and extra break lights. Comes with red lensed to replace your amber ones. Better yet, do what I just did and order the L.E.D. lights from Kuryakyn. You need the extra lights.

Terry

Quick Reply: Rear turn signals on Softail