Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

No speedo, tac,turn signals,or directionals

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:46 AM
zook1065
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No speedo, tac,turn signals,or directionals

I was riding home this morning and my speedo and tac went down. I got home to check the turn signals that didnt seem to work, and the brake light is out. All the fuses are good, Any ideas???

Old 07-28-2006, 10:55 AM
zook1065
Novice
Default RE: No speedo, tac,turn signals,or directionals

......and the turn signal hazards blink 6 times when I hit the run, no security system installed, it a 05 FLHT

Old 07-28-2006, 11:06 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

really strange for an 05. I would first check the speedo sensor located on the right side top of the clutch cover. Remove it and make sure there are not any metal fuzzies on the magnet. This supplies circuitry to the TSSM for time/distance/speed. If it's dirty your signals, speedo and tach will be affected. Clean it with a little alcohol and rag, then reinstall. However, you are still under your 2 year warranty, I assume. Take it in to the dealer and let them check it out. If the sensor is defective, they can replace.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:20 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The speed sensor has nothing to do with the tach or the brake lights. It will make the speedo read erroneously or not at all, but will not make it lose power. The tach gets it's signal through the ignition system/ecm or icm depending on model. The blinking turn signal lights at startup indicate the tsm/tssm has logged an error code. I would pull that code through the speedo LCD and see what it is.

Are there any electrical or lighting mods. or accessories installed on this motorcycle?

Old 07-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Check that your ignition switch isn't flickering on and off......

That will happen on occasions, where the one of the internal contacts will get out of alignment or burnt....

Try this....

Take your ignition switch and turn on your bike as you normally do... Then gently rock the switch back and forth and see if the speedo illumination light comes on.....

The blinking of the lights is probably a "Bus Error".... lack of communication between the ECM, TSM and Speedo....

Old 07-28-2006, 10:46 PM
zook1065
Novice

Thanks everyone, took it to the dealer this morning and was told they found a short in the batwing. At least it was fixed quick so I have it for the weekend!!!

Old 07-28-2006, 11:19 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

The blinking of the lights is probably a "Bus Error".... lack of communication between the ECM, TSM and Speedo....
Turning the power on and off will not create a bus error. If the J1850 line is broken, shorted or a component is failing it will, but not cycling the power. Also, if there is lack of communication between the ECM and TSM/TSSM at startup, the vehicle will not start. If the bus line breaks when running, the vehicle will continue to run, but will not re-start as the password is shared on the bus line at startup between thet ECM and TSSM.