Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Alternator or voltage regulator???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 03:48 AM
Inferno00
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator or voltage regulator???

About 5 weeks ago I went for a ride over to my brother's house. When I tried to leave, the bike wouldn't turn over. It just made a clicking sound. I push started it, and made it home. The next day I bought a new battery and things have been working great. Last weekend after riding for about 2 hours, we stopped for a beer and when we tried to leave the bike wouldn't start. Same thing, it just clicked. Do I need to replace my alternator or voltage regulator? It seems that everyone that I know (none of them very bright, unless they are drunk) have a different opinion. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Inferno00

Old 07-27-2006, 09:04 PM
klagair
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alternator or voltage regulator???

Inferno, I would suggest to get both checked. Some times you can check the regulator and voltage is down which may suggest a faulty regulator when in fact the alternator is not putting out in the first instance. All the same sounds as though the battery is not being charged to capacity hence the clicking could be the solenoid activating only with not enough power to turn the engine over.
With what info you have supplied this is my best guess.
Cheers