Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Aux Power point not for FLHRIC

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010 | 08:45 AM
rdub
|
6th Gear
Default Aux Power point not for FLHRIC

I have a 1998 Road King classic Inj. I want to have a power point to charge cell phone, IPOD and other gadgets while on the road. I bought a harley aux power point from the dealer that is ment to plug in to the existing unused connector behind either side cover.. It is basically a cig lighter recepticle, a foot of wire and a connector. When I opened the package the instructions said "fits all carberated 94 and up EXCEPT FLHRIC." I thought maybe EXCEPT only applied to the mounting. The plugs looked the same so I plugged it in to my dismay, got no power. I returned to dealer with no problem. Dealer says none listed for my bike. I know that I can probably find 12v power somewhere and wire up an aftermarket cig lighter but there has to be a cleaner way. I would like to use the existing connectors.
Any Ideas?

Old 03-21-2010 | 01:05 PM
DBAndress
Stage I
Default Aux Power point not for FLHRIC

I had same issue on my 2005 FLHRC. I bought the same kit from my local HD shop and discovered same problem. At that point, I cut the connector off and mounted the 12V socket in my right hand side cover. Pay close attention when doing this and be sure to place the 12V socket where it cannot short against anything. The best place seems to be on the back end of the cover and just about in the middle. Then bought an inline fuse block, spliced it and a length of wire to the power wire coming from the 12V socket and connected to the (+) of the battery. Also, spliced a length of wire on the ground lead coming from the 12V socket and connected it to one of the grounding points in proximity to the battery. You will need to wrap the end of the 12V socket with electrical tape as a precaution so as not to short out against anything. Mine has been installed for 3 years now and haven't had any issues, works great.