Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT comparison to PC V

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:05 AM
ohtim45
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SERT comparison to PC V

I was talking to the service manager at a local dealership and he is trying to convince me that a SERT is going to give me better engine managment than my PC V. My bike is a 09 Ultra with a 96cu in motor, SE air filter and just took off the SE pipes and went to Monster ovals. I want to get the most out of what I've got in it but do not like the idea of dropping $500 that could go to better use elsewere. What can the SERT do for me that the aftermarket modules can't?

Old 02-08-2010, 11:09 AM
2Sore
Road Master

Originally Posted by ohtim45
I was talking to the service manager at a local dealership and he is trying to convince me that a SERT is going to give me better engine managment than my PC V. My bike is a 09 Ultra with a 96cu in motor, SE air filter and just took off the SE pipes and went to Monster ovals. I want to get the most out of what I've got in it but do not like the idea of dropping $500 that could go to better use elsewere. What can the SERT do for me that the aftermarket modules can't?
Nothing...PCV is much better.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not an expert and currently don't have either but I did retire 6 months ago which automatically made me an expert at anything you would like to discuss.

Sert: Outdated replaced by the SEST.
Sert or SEST utilizes the O2 sensors.
Only recognizes HD equip. cams, etc.
Have a dealer put one in and everytime you make an upgrade your going to give the dealer more money.

PCV: Does not utilize O2 sensors.
Canned maps readily available exspecially if you buy from Fuelmoto.
Can be dyno tuned as well.
Can make upgrades without an additional expense, unless you get a dyno tune.

I'd go with a PCV or better yet a TTS (who made the SERT).

Last edited by Sancho; 02-08-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:29 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Sore
Nothing...PCV is much better.

Subject comes up often here, but this statement conflicts with the expert advice... don't know the basis of it.

If you are happy with the PCV, you should probably stick with it. Don't know if you'll notice much in the seat of the pants with something better, but that's subjective and I don't know how calibrated your rear end is. Both the SERT/SEST and TTS kit are tools that a tuner can use to squeeze out better power numbers and driving satisfaction. You can use the TTS yourself to do the squeeze if you are cynical about tuning shops. It seems to work real well in the hands of amateurs to pros.

Its a shame to spend $$ on performance and not get the most out of it... but we are talking subjective riding satisfaction. If you want to hire a tuner you trust to tune the bike, then follow his recommendations.

PCVs cripple the ECU, although they are simple (less $$) for a tuner to tune for power. They are probably the best piggyback module but is not nearly as sophisticated as either the SEST/SERT or TTS.

TTS can be used with any bike, stock to highly modified, check it out to see if its right for you. It is the right way to go if you have O2 sensors and want to be sure the bike is set up spot on.

Last edited by ColdCase; 02-08-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:20 PM
ohtim45
6th Gear
Default Now I know

Thanks for the imformation, had not considered tts. They don't seem to get as much publicity as some of the others, but after looking at how you use the ECM rather than replacing it and still have all of the pluses of keeping the facory settings you want. I like the adaptability for future engine mods without more $$. Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer

I too hadn't considered the TTS and was looking at the same things you were. Needless to say, after much reading and a few PM's to members here, I have a TTS setting at home right now. Can't wait for the weather to give me a break to play with this thing! Ordered mine from Doc on a Friday and had it Monday morning

Originally Posted by ohtim45
Thanks for the imformation, had not considered tts. They don't seem to get as much publicity as some of the others, but after looking at how you use the ECM rather than replacing it and still have all of the pluses of keeping the facory settings you want. I like the adaptability for future engine mods without more $$. Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

One is not better than the other. They are different systems. This topic has been beat utterly to death here, but here is a link that should explain the differences.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/m...i_upgrades.htm

Old 02-11-2010, 10:51 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
One is not better than the other. They are different systems. This topic has been beat utterly to death here, but here is a link that should explain the differences.

Did you even read the info on this link? Apparently one IS better than the other

"Despite these issue, Engine Management Software is the best way to upgrade an existing OEM ECU. Devices like the PowerCommander and TFI will never be able to give the required control over the EFI and Ignition systems."

Old 02-11-2010, 11:25 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride

Yeah the subject has been beat to death and I'm surprised that these general statements still show up here. The link seems to not be complete or perhaps hasn't been updated for years. Things and conclusions for late model bikes have changed dramatically over the past year or two.

It may be true that there is no one system that is best for everyone as everyone has a different idea of what "value", "better", "good enough" and "simple" is and each system has room for improvement. But there is a best system for a given set of circumstances.

I'm just saying that individuals that are serious about what is best for them should do some research. There is much dis-information, old school experience, and marketing BS out there, sometimes passed on by those that mean well. Most of us just want to ride, however, and just want something that works. All of the systems work OK, when they work.

You can argue about one system's capability over another but perhaps what counts is what works best in the real world. There seems to be no question that, if you want the tool for late model bikes that can get you the best tuning results for the street, today you need to look at the TTS tuning kit. If the bike has O2 sensors, it has been shown that the do it yourself owner with little EFI knowledge can easily get a near spot on tune. That's not saying that ride satisfaction won't be high with any other system, another system may be simpler for one individual or another, nor a skilled pro cannot work magic with about any system.

Anyway just my humble opinion....

Last edited by ColdCase; 02-11-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only thing that bugs me about a PCIII or PC V is that it is a piggy back system and you are shoving 10 lbs of **** into a 1lb bag alot of wires bent and twisted to get it all in there and after working industrial maintenance for a long time to me its only a matter of time before a wire breaks or something goes wrong. That being I put the PCIII in two years ago and had no issues gained power with it and pipes and stage I. Because of the price but iam looking at new options now to see what else i can do.

Quick Reply: SERT comparison to PC V