Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT comparison to PC V

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:05 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the old SERT and it works fine because I have a 4 year old bike to match...but if I already had a PCV I would not go buy another tuner I would simply get a fuel moto map. I had my bike tuned but in the end got a $50 dyno map from Latus HD that runs better and is really easy to upload.

When I look at the dyno map I have now and the HD stage 1 canned map that came with the SERT that is made for my bike...there is very minor differences.

But if I was getting a new tuner setup I would definitely get the TTS system.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:39 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
Did you even read the info on this link? Apparently one IS better than the other

"Despite these issue, Engine Management Software is the best way to upgrade an existing OEM ECU. Devices like the PowerCommander and TFI will never be able to give the required control over the EFI and Ignition systems."
My point is that it all depends on what type of system you want. If you want something cheap and easy for pipes and a breather then the PC or other add on type device will likely satisfy you but you won't get the complete control that SERT or TTS gives you. However using the SERT (I have no experience with the TTS) requires more effort. I have the SERT Pro w/the Smart Tune Feature cause I like being able to tweak whatever I want, but not every one cares about that.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:40 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Both the SERT/SEST and TTS kit are tools that a tuner can use to squeeze out better power numbers and driving satisfaction. You can use the TTS yourself to do the squeeze if you are cynical about tuning shops. It seems to work real well in the hands of amateurs to pros.
First, the claim that you can "squeeze out better power numbers and driving satisfaction" is true if you're comparing to a stock bike, but it is a false statement if you are claiming the Cole-based tuners TTS/SEST (T/S hereafter) can do a better job than a PCV, assuming a proper tune for both. The objective of a tuning device, whether hardware- or software-based, is to provide the proper injector pulse-width and ignition timing at a given time as specified by the human tuner. You can't show us one iota of evidence that T/S can do this better than the PCV.

The claim that the PCV is the superior device is as erroneous as your claims, as both tuning options will produce an excellent tune given a proper map is installed. What is this nebulous "driving satisfaction" experience and how do you define it? Once you do that, please explain why T/S gives it in larger, more favorable quantities than a properly tuned PCV.

PCVs cripple the ECU, although they are simple (less $$) for a tuner to tune for power.
Of all the lame claims I've heard on the subject of tuners, this is the most flagrant and erroneous. Where did you first encounter this notion that a PCV "cripples" the ECU and could you explain it in more detail? I can't wait for this one.

They are probably the best piggyback module but is not nearly as sophisticated as either the SEST/SERT or TTS.
Could you define "sophisticated"? Does it provide more tables to employ? Yes. For example, having warm-up tables is useful for a small percentage of riders, but the PCV can employ offsets in multiple tiers for either temperature or time that can accomplish basically the same thing.

Does it lack some features the PCV contains? Yes. Let's look at "sophistication" a bit more deeply for a moment? If you consider the PCV with optional Auto Tune, can T/S operate in closed-loop mode throughout the RPM/TP range? No, it can't, but PCV-AT will. Can T/S provide AFR's beyond 14.2-15.0? No, it can't because it uses narrow-band O2 sensors, while the PCV-AT uses wide-band sensors. Can T/S allow a map-switch function where two maps can be toggled on the fly for specific situations? No, it can't.

TTS can be used with any bike, stock to highly modified, check it out to see if its right for you. It is the right way to go if you have O2 sensors and want to be sure the bike is set up spot on.
You can set the bike "spot on" with a PCV as well, given a good map. Saying you can do this only with T/S is simply false, as is the notion that it can't tune highly modified bikes. Go to the touring section of this forum and search for Fuel Moto's turbocharged RK, tuned with a PCV. Is that highly modified enough for you? The PCV has settings for boost pressure offsets, so can T/S do this? They sell and tune both TTS and PCV, among other tuners, and selected the PCV for this project bike.

Sport bikes are much more "sophisticated" than Harleys, and the PC is the favorite tuner among this crowd, including those who race. These PC's aren't any different than those used in Harleys except the connector is different.

Am I going to say the PCV is a superior tuner compared to T/S? No, because if I did it would be false, as both tuners will appeal to folks much like a Ford or Chevy will. Both are excellent options that use different approaches to accomplish the same fundamental result. Some will like T/S features, some will prefer those offered by the PCV--but to say that one tuner is superior overall to the other is simply baseless.

Last edited by iclick; 02-11-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:48 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
My point is that it all depends on what type of system you want. If you want something cheap and easy for pipes and a breather then the PC or other add on type device will likely satisfy you but you won't get the complete control that SERT or TTS gives you. However using the SERT (I have no experience with the TTS) requires more effort. I have the SERT Pro w/the Smart Tune Feature cause I like being able to tweak whatever I want, but not every one cares about that.
I was being sarcastic and pointing out that your reference link did not substantiate your point.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:54 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back to the OP's original question and based on my experience with both the PC and the SERT, I do not believe based on what is installed a benefit would be gained from dropping 500.00 on another tuning device given that one is already installed.

I have successfully used the PC (on 3 bikes over extended periods of time) and the only thing (and I mean the ONLY thing without regard to a firmware issue on a PCIII i had), that was an issue for me overall was the bulkiness in trying to manage it under the seat of my wife's softail. The issue was trying to get a different than stock seat to fit on top of it and relocation became an issue. At the end of the day we bought an old unused SERT off of ebay for 100 bucks and had it tuned. She says that it runs better overall (she had 25000 miles on the PC) but I attribute that to a professional tune vs. a free map install from dynojet. Given that we could have paid for a tune for the PC, I imagine it would have been the same at the end.

Sooo, to sum it all up to the OP - buy some chrome or take a nice road trip.

Last edited by TickTock; 02-11-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:56 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
The only thing that bugs me about a PCIII or PC V is that it is a piggy back system and you are shoving 10 lbs of **** into a 1lb bag alot of wires bent and twisted to get it all in there and after working industrial maintenance for a long time to me its only a matter of time before a wire breaks or something goes wrong.
You're kidding, right? Have you looked under the fairing of an EG? How about under the right side cover of an '07 touring bike? The wiring for the ECM is stuffed under that cover like you describe. Anyway, there isn't that much wiring involved, and in most cases fits well under the seat or under a side cover, depending on the model. Anyway, why is a wire shaped to fit in a particular location more inclined to "go wrong" or break? Why isn't any other wire stuffed in various places on the motorcycle prone to breakage?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
I was being sarcastic and pointing out that your reference link did not substantiate your point.
The purpose of my reference link was the chart showing the differences between the various systems available.

I do maintain that better and best are relative to what you really want to accomplish. I just like the idea that with the SEST I can directly program the ECU.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Night_Train
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice write up "iclick", found it very informative and useful.
I use none of the above fuel management systems but am considering changing to one of the above descirbed units. I use ridemaxx plus tuner, my only problem with it to date is no one will touch it for dyno tuning, they (dyno shops) don't seem to know or want to know about it and try to sell me what they are used to using.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iclick, come over Friday for beers, I'll buy...

Old 02-11-2010, 04:31 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Firetender
iclick, come over Friday for beers, I'll buy...
Let's see, in San Diego Friday for beers. Got it. Wait! We're still celebrating our Superbowl win and the streets are clogged with party-goers. I can't get to the airport!

Quick Reply: SERT comparison to PC V