Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 11:24 PM
arachman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible?

Is it possible to load the SERT software onto the bikes ECM but not make any changes to the calibration of the bike?

In case I am not saying this right...is it possible to load the Race Tuner software onto the bike but leave everything else the way it is?

I am trying to save the 2 hrs in labor (Roughly $140.00) that the shops want to install the software.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:58 PM
Spartan
Road Captain
Default RE: Is it possible?

The whole point of the SERT is to recalibrate the ECM settings. Why do you need it?

Old 07-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The SERT software doesn't actually get installed on your bike. It is an interface that lets you reprogram the ECM on your bike. The software gets installed on your compter so you can see the map settings before downloading them to the ECM. Not much to getting the SERT to recognize the ECM. The hard part is getting the correct settings for your bike which normally would be done by getting it dyno tuned.

The CD comes with files (maps) that you can use to get close to your setup and then make changes from there.

I'm no expert here but that's the way I see it.

Mike.
NY

Old 07-22-2006, 02:32 AM
Islander
Tourer

The SERT software is simply a software interface that allows you to create/edit calibration files, and then upload them to your bike's ECM.
The SERT software stays resident on your laptop or desktop computer. The only thing loaded by the SERT to the ECM is the calibration file you create or edit.
Furthermore, you cannot retrieve the calibration file currently loaded in your ECM.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-22-2006, 04:39 AM
arachman
Cruiser

Ok so why then is my dealer wanting to charge me and my buddy 4 hours total labor to install the Race Tuners? Yikes.

What would be real cool is if I had two maps...1 for an 05 Deluxe with the Stage 1 air cleaner and Hooker Rebels slash cuts...and 2 an 05 Fatboy stage 2 big bore and Vance and Hines Big Radius pipes.

If no one has anything that would work well with that than it wuold be great if we could just get the bikes running better!!!

Old 07-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

The dealer will use the SERT to load a baseline map. The dealer, or dyno tuner, is charging you to fine tune the ECM using a dyno.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:20 PM
arachman
Cruiser

Here is the cost breakdown I was given:

2 hrs install SERT $72.50 per hr (Non negotiable)
1 Set up Fee $30 (one time)
1-3 Dyno runs @ $15.00 ea.
Fine tuning motorcycle real time @ $72.00 per hr. anywhere from 20 mins. - 120.mins

A Dealer that does not have a Dyno machine said they would install the SERT for 2 hrs. @ $65.00 per hr.

So i am not sure what exactly i am getting? It seems to me that it should not take that long to load the SERT calibration map onto the bike I am not sure which one I should use though?

Mine has the SE stage 1 air cleaner, Hooker Rebels Long Slash Cuts and the Download or remap as they called it. I was charged $2230 for that remap.

My BUddy has the SE stage 2 big bore kit with V&H Big Radius pipes.

Could I load the programs off the SERT Disc and will the rest of that software go into the Bikes computer? OR would I be wasting my time? So, just what the heck (such strong laguage!) is getting installed?

Old 07-22-2006, 11:38 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It takes about 5 minites to install the SERT software on your laptop. After that, it takes about 3 minutes to upload a new calibration file to the bike. Then it takes about 10 seconds to disconnect the sert from the bike.

Now, if you are getting a custom dyno tune, that can take a few hours... but personally, I think you are getting ripped off.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Why don't you download a copy of the SERT manual and see what it's all about. There is no install for the SERT other than taking the seat off and hooking it up to the ECM port (Diagnostic plug). After that it's a download from the PC/Laptop.

Ask the dealer what exactly does he do for 2 hours when installing the SERT...

he Dyno Tune is a different story and requires some time.

Mike
NY

Old 07-23-2006, 12:11 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mike NY

Ask the dealer what exactly does he do for 2 hours when installing the SERT...
He spends 5 minutes with the bike and the other hour and 55 minutes laughing on his way to the bank. [8D]